What is your tried and true way of chasing down leaks?

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I have three or four leaks to chase down back to the source of the leak; and I'm searching for the most successful way folks have found to do that. For example people say use food coloring and it will show you. Well food coloring is great for showing me where the water flows from the place you put the food coloring on down hill but not to great at going uphill backwards to the source.

Soooo what is your best suggestion?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Start high, work your way down lower. Really.

We had a leak into our dorade bases. Redid the dorades. Didn't solve it. Turned out to be the traveler track needed to be rebed.

You just have to be systematic, there are no shortcuts.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Pressurize your cabin with a vacuum cleaner. (reverse the hose location on most wet dry units to accomplish this) The vacuum cleaner will be located on the exterior of the boat. Place the hose in a vent or other convenient place and use duct tape to make a seal and to hold the hose in place. Close all hatches and ports and seal any large openings like fresh air intakes, vents and gaps in the companion way hatch with tape or plastic bags. (you'll have to be creative here) It doesn't have to be a perfect seal, just enough to prevent huge volumes of air from escaping from the cabin. While the cabin is pressurized, go around all deck fittings, windows, hatches, toe rail/hull to deck joint and all suspect areas with a brush or sponge loaded with soapy water. Bubbles will appear to grow larger where there is a leak. This method will detect even very small leaks.

Last edited:

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Well, sometimes you just have to eliminate possibilities one by one, then re-check...

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Systematic persistance and Crayola bathtub markers (or a suitable facsimile).

Tejas

Dec 15, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 Lake Travis
Part of the solution (no pun intended) is to determine if the water is from the interior of the boat, from rain, or from the sea or lake. A swimming pool pH test kit can help make that determination.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Pressurize your cabin with a vacuum cleaner. (reverse the hose location on most wet dry units to accomplish this) The vacuum cleaner will be located on the exterior of the boat. Place the hose in a vent or other convenient place and use duct tape to make a seal and to hold the hose in place. Close all hatches and ports and seal any large openings like fresh air intakes, vents and gaps in the companion way hatch with tape or plastic bags. (you'll have to be creative here) It doesn't have to be a perfect seal, just enough to prevent huge volumes of air from escaping from the cabin. While the cabin is pressurized, go around all deck fittings, windows, hatches, toe rail/hull to deck joint and all suspect areas with a brush or sponge loaded with soapy water. Bubbles will appear to grow larger where there is a leak. This method will detect even very small leaks.
Ted is right. This will help find the smallest of leaks but also some leaks that actually don't let water in as well.
It's faster than removing and rebedding all your hardware.
Ken

Nov 2, 2012
ODay 240 Lake Nockamixon
We have tracked down leaks on multiple boats, and have always been able to find all of them, and/or their source. What we use is the heavy duty, blue, shop towels from Scott Paper. ANY DROP of water on these towels will show as a very visible, dark, blue spot. (the towel is light blue)

You can use whole or partial sheets pushed into various locations to check for major leaks, or the path of any water flow. You can use smaller pieces of the towel to check for small leaks around bolts etc.. Just push the paper firmly around the bolt, if there is any leak at that bolt, you will see the change in color.

After getting the boat leak free, we check everything each spring when we wash and wax the boat. We then check check several times through the season.

We also leave sheets in various locations under seat cushions and under the sink, so we can be alerted to any developing leaks.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Although I like the ones mentioned above better than my own, my "tried and true" approach is the old fashioned "shot-gun" method. If water starts appearing on starboard of the boat, for example, I re-bed all of the stanchions on that side (unless it's obvious where it's getting in). If that doesn't work, then the starboard tracks, etc. Not very scientific, but I've had good results.

Tejas

Dec 15, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 Lake Travis
We have had two water problems. Neither were "leaks."

Both appeared as water in the grid. The first was from the diesel raw water cooling bleed valve that only dripped water when the engine was running. The second was a cracked stern shower head, which we never used, that had apparently cracked during a freeze, and that emitted a fine stream when the fresh water system was pressurized, which we seldom used.

The swimming pool pH test kit indicated that the first water problem was from the lake. The pH test kit indicated that the second water problem was from the fresh water tanks. Even with those hints, it took months to discover the sources.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
A few boats ago, I tried to track down a leak for many years. I finally discovered that there were holes between the deck and hull hidden behind the aluminum toe rail. They were completely out of site and were not visible from within the cabin. Happily, the vacuum cleaner method found my leak source. Sometimes a logical diagnosis doesn't always work when dealing with boats built by careless manufacturers. :banghead:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
For example people say use food coloring and it will show you. Well food coloring is great for showing me where the water flows from the place you put the food coloring on down hill but not to great at going uphill backwards to the source.
I think it was Stu that said in a similar post, it was simple....
"Start from the outside."
I use...
White towel, weak food coloring mixture and purple or green masking tape. Tape, slowly pour dilute colored water to check a spot, wait for 10 minutes, un-tape, move to a new spot
Rinse and repeat....

Pressurize your cabin with a vacuum cleaner.
Sounds like a plan on very very hard to find and very very slow leaks.;)
However back flow of air may not show a real water leak. Sometimes air leaks out where water can't leak in.
Jim...

PS: The white towel shows even a faint color and you can change colors. Maybe red port, green starboard:)?