What is this?

Oct 5, 2021
Catalina 25 Tradewinds Marina
Where are you measuring the length? The LOA is the deck length. WLL is the waterline length. The lighting is 15.25 on the waterline according to SBD.com. And 19' LOA.
It has a flat bottom as this boat appears to be. The rudder is the same.
the deck is 16'

Oct 5, 2021
the rig was updated
so how were the shrouds on the one you sailed? it did come with two masts. one got and one grey. the boom is around 8' long, and gold like the mast. it attaches to the mast via a square male fitting attached to the mast. to me, I haven't set it up yet, it looks like they used the grey mast, with the single shrouds, and possibly bought the gold mast just to get the boom. will see. it seems pretty complete. it came with a nice fitted cover, and updated flip up rudder, with fairly new sails. someone put some money into it.

Oct 5, 2021
also, you were completely right! my sails do have that comet emblem, now that I've looked it up! I just thought the comet was the sail makers emblem. thank you Jon for your help! I'm reading good things about this boat

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
These racing dinghies are a blast. Mastering one will make you an excellent sailor. Hiking straps and maybe even trapeze lines should be evident once you get the gear sorted out. Look for self draining plug on the transom. It's like a one way valve. These boats often had adjustable or quick release shroud levers. Learn to fold and store the sails properly. There are many excellent books on sailing dinghies. Try to get your hands on as many as possible.... Look for titles like "Helming to Win" by Lawrie Smith & Ian Pinnell or "Race Winning Strategies" by Tom Linskey. Have fun!

Oct 5, 2021
These racing dinghies are a blast. Mastering one will make you an excellent sailor. Hiking straps and maybe even trapeze lines should be evident once you get the gear sorted out. Look for self draining plug on the transom. It's like a one way valve. These boats often had adjustable or quick release shroud levers. Learn to fold and store the sails properly. There are many excellent books on sailing dinghies. Try to get your hands on as many as possible.... Look for titles like "Helming to Win" by Lawrie Smith & Ian Pinnell or "Race Winning Strategies" by Tom Linskey. Have fun!
thanks for the advice Joe!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I will second that. I have a good bit of time in Flying Dutchman and Lightning boats.. Just a HOOT!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Deja Vu all over again! Somebody recently posted a picture of a boat built by the other Johnson boat company (C. O. Johnson in Minnesota, not to be confused by C.L. Johnson in this case). It was a 16' X Boat it seemed. Looks very similar to this Comet. I was wondering just how similar ... it seems that SA of the Comet is at 135 sf (main & jib) vs 109 sf for the X Boat. SA/D = 55.04 for Comet vs 28.89 for X Boat. Similar boats, but clearly the Comet is more performance oriented.

Another tidbit of interesting info to me ... the Comet International Championships were held at Lake Hopatcong Yacht Club in New Jersey in Sept. 2018 (the lake where I once sailed my Starwind 27).

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Looks like Jon h has hit it on the head. The rake of the bow looks right, along with the size & shape of the cockpit and deck areas. Skippy should take the measurements off his boat and compare them with these: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/comet-od-usa
Lightnings, though similar, are bigger. They have fore&aft bench seats in the cockpit.