What is this?

Apr 3, 2007
- - Edgewater, MD
At the starboard aft corner in the cockpit of my new-to-me 1985 O'Day 28 there's a hose fitting. I thought it might be an outlet for a cockpit shower. I took the shower hose from the head, but it wouldn't fit. Different sizes. Does anyone know what this fitting is for, and if so, how do I use it / turn it on?

Thanks,
Rick

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Does it have a black rubber diaphragm around it? If so, it’s not a hose fitting, it’s the diaphragm for the manual bilge pump. On our 28 it was mounted right where you describe. You should find an aluminum pipe, about 1’ long, with a black ball shape on the end. That pipe goes into the fitting, and you pump up and down to pump the bilge dry.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If it’s female hose thread could be shore water input. Not to fill tanks but provide pressurized water while at shore. Good device for sinking your boat if left unattended.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
My 28, same year, has no such thing. Take a photo so we don't have to guess ok? Sounds like an owner-installed accessory, though

Apr 3, 2007
- - Edgewater, MD
Next time I'm down there I'll take a photo. My apologies for not providing one before.
I know it's not the manual bilge pump, as that's installed a few inches away. However, I think Leslie might be right! Shore water inlet not to refill the tanks, but to provide fresh water at the dock. THAT makes complete sense. But I'll confirm.