What is this?

Jun 30, 2019
Hunter 33 (Cherubini) Poughkeepsie
I bought a 1980 hunter 33 last year and it came with tons of equipment. Most of it I could figure out. But several pieces have me stymied. I attached a picture of one below. It came rolled up in a long plastic cover. Anybody know what it is?
thanks!
IMG_1495 (1).JPG

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Wind sock / chute. It’s for tunneling a breeze into the cabin through a forward hatch, especially when pointed into the wind, like at anchor. The dowels hold the bottom inside the hatch. Use a halyard to pull the pointy end up. Maybe a foreguy from the pointy end to the head stay to give it a good shape.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Great idea, but I have yet to find one that works at all well at anchor. The boat swings and they collapse doing more harm than good. They work marvelously well in a slip, especially when you are beam to the wind. Obviously, they make great rain scoops, too.
I've been racking my brain for any system that will allow us to keep a hatch open in a light to moderate rain on our boat, where the mizzen is just a foot or so forward of the hatch, but no success yet.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
1. Rotate wind scoop to the wind in a current/wind conflict.
2. Awning over tether to fore mast.

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
I've been racking my brain for any system that will allow us to keep a hatch open in a light to moderate rain on our boat, where the mizzen is just a foot or so forward of the hatch, but no success yet.
You’ll have to go custom designed and made. Here’s one that I made for our forward hatch. The hatch frame provides the structure and straps provide tension. It extends forward beyond the cabin top to allow for good ventilation.

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
At anchor is the best a wind sock works..... maybe you need to adjust your set-up. Mine creates a wind tunnel in my boat.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
At anchor is the best a wind sock works..... maybe you need to adjust your set-up. Mine creates a wind tunnel in my boat.
I guess your boat doesn't swing at anchor. All of ours (we have 3 different types) work great when bow to wind, but then collapse when she swings ten or so degrees either side of the wind, blocking all air down the hatch. We certainly don't sail on our anchor or swing excessively, but enough to make any I've tried so far a bust.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
You’ll have to go custom designed and made. Here’s one that I made for our forward hatch. The hatch frame provides the structure and straps provide tension. It extends forward beyond the cabin top to allow for good ventilation.
We have a great one for the guest cabin forward but so far none of the canvas or sail makers have been able to come up with any ideas either. As I said, on a flat cabin top we only have a foot or so forward of the hatch to the mizzen mast.
Any ideas would be welcome, but it must be an easily set and removed system.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've taken a beach towel and bungee tied the corners to a boat hook....and stretched out the top seem...then ran a bungee from the boat hook to the forstay and attached the jib halyard to the bungee....then tied the other two corners to the hatch hinges.... then hoisted the boat hook up a little with the jib halyard. Made a great windsock.... cost me $0

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I guess your boat doesn't swing at anchor. All of ours (we have 3 different types) work great when bow to wind, but then collapse when she swings ten or so degrees either side of the wind, blocking all air down the hatch. We certainly don't sail on our anchor or swing excessively, but enough to make any I've tried so far a bust.
My scoop rotates..... not static.

Sep 4, 2010
Beneteau Mooring 352 PUERTO LA CRUZ
I bought a 1980 hunter 33 last year and it came with tons of equipment. Most of it I could figure out. But several pieces have me stymied. I attached a picture of one below. It came rolled up in a long plastic cover. Anybody know what it is?
thanks!View attachment 180418
yes, it is nice to install it in the forward hatch to let the freeze enter inside the boat and cool off.

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
My wind scoops are open on 4 sides and have an X shaped piece in the inside; held up by a halyard. Picks up air from any direction.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My wind scoops are open on 4 sides and have an X shaped piece in the inside; held up by a halyard. Picks up air from any direction.
That sounds cool...

Pictures?

Feb 22, 2015
Catalina 30 Redondo Beach
Have you tried a riding sail to reduce yaw?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
You beat me to it. We have one very similar and it works quite well.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Have you tried a riding sail to reduce yaw?
If you look @ the pic I'm a ketch so I don't need a riding sail. We don't swing that much, just too much for any wind scoop I know of to stay full all the time. I'm not familiar w/any wind scoop that swivels w/the wind, which is why I asked.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Clever!