What is this thing?

Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Eugene
I recently bought a 1986 C22. I've only sailed a handfull of times with friends so I'm really new.. But I've been having fun fixing all sorts of stuff one thing at a time. I can't launch her until next spring so I have a lot of time to get things just how I want before the sailing season...

There are a TON of upgrades from Catalina Direct on the boat already and I've ordered a few more to pretty much fully outfit her with all the extras.

However there is this thing on the boat that I have no idea what it is and I've asked a few who were around the boat yard and none of them had any clue either.

Attachments

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Congratulations on your '86 C22, I'm the proud owner of an '86 myself and I have no idea at all what you have there. I've done a fairly good restoration of my boat and have poked around into every nook and cranny aboard and I cannot recall ever seeing anything like that.

Feb 9, 2008
Catalina 22 Long Beach Harbor, MS
No idea. In my experience, throw it away and you will discover its purpose shortly after!

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I first thought it may be a grill mount but don't think so now. I am guessing some kind a quick release mount for a mast mounted Windex? Is there a bracket mounted on the mast that your not sure of too?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i am going out on a limb here and say it's a magma grill mount for the rod holder that is mounted in the gunnel ...go to west marine a look at one and see if it's a match...but some of it is missing where it goes in the rod holder

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
i am going out on a limb here and say it's a magma grill mount for the rod holder that is mounted in the gunnel ...go to west marine a look at one and see if it's a match...but some of it is missing where it goes in the rod holder
+1. It's a grill mount. All you need is a grill. There's probably some sort of bracket already on the boat. Keep-a-lookin'. It's in there somewhere.

Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Eugene
Well good to know its not crucial... ;) Maybe I'll see if I can use it for mounting a solar panel.

Thanks gents!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Well good to know its not crucial... ;) Maybe I'll see if I can use it for mounting a solar panel. Thanks gents!
Ahem. It's crucial. You can't grill without it. I'm pretty sure it's part of the COLREGS. Seriously. You must have a working grill onboard. (Even if you don't use a stern anchor.)

Sep 13, 2015
Catalina 22 Eugene
Ahem. It's crucial. You can't grill without it. I'm pretty sure it's part of the COLREGS. Seriously. You must have a working grill onboard. (Even if you don't use a stern anchor.)
:) I have a feeling I'll get to that point sometime. But for now I've got to get things in working order and looking good. Winter is a coming and I'm going to want to have her fairly clean and put together before the long months of torrential down pours come so I can just tarp it off and try to wait until next spring when I can launch her for the first time. All the teak just went back onto it today and man was that ever a momentous event. Wish I had my camera with me! Been putting Cetol on wood for a bit over a week now. Figures we had 2 days of rain right when the last coats were going on.

Looks like I've got a small leak in one of the windows (even when I did have tarps over her). But there is a screw missing in that window so it may be as simple as that (I doubt it). But considering that the companion way is wide open and just kinda covered with a tarp I'm happy to see its as dry as it is considering how hard it rained.