What is this sail for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2010
Ranger 26 Coupeville
I just bought Hull 47 R26 and one of the previous owners raced it a lot. Well, needless to say, there are plenty of sails, 13 to be exact. This is my first boat and I really don't intend on racing it.

However, there is a jib that i don't understand. I have an hank on forestay and this jib only has a clew hole. Running up the entire luff, sewn in, is a cable that starts at the tack and extends about 2 feet beyond the head of the top of the sail. The ends of the cable are the rigging points for the sail. Nowhere along the luff are hanks to attach it to the forestay. This is a pretty heavy jib as far as material goes. Also, it appears to be in near-new condition, telling me that is either wasn't used, or not used much.

Anyone have any idea what this jib is used for, and if it is complete? :confused:

Any information would be appreciated.

dan.farage@gmail.com

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
I just bought Hull 47 R26 and one of the previous owners raced it a lot. Well, needless to say, there are plenty of sails, 13 to be exact. This is my first boat and I really don't intend on racing it.

However, there is a jib that i don't understand. I have an hank on forestay and this jib only has a clew hole. Running up the entire luff, sewn in, is a cable that starts at the tack and extends about 2 feet beyond the head of the top of the sail. The ends of the cable are the rigging points for the sail. Nowhere along the luff are hanks to attach it to the forestay. This is a pretty heavy jib as far as material goes. Also, it appears to be in near-new condition, telling me that is either wasn't used, or not used much.

Anyone have any idea what this jib is used for, and if it is complete? :confused:

Any information would be appreciated.

dan.farage@gmail.com

Well I'm gonna guess storm jib.
Or, maybe a try-sail rigged on the stern to keep her from swinging about when on anchor.
But I'd bet on storm jib.

a pic might help.
my 2 cents.

jcm

May 18, 2009
Beneteau First 38 Portland
Or a staysail, although the heavyness is odd. Check the length of the luff (edge that would normally have hanks) and compare it to the headstay. A staysail would have to be quite a bit shorter, depending on where it hoists from.

People often pick up sails at used lofts (or eBay), planning to convert them for their boat. Maybe the PO was thinking storm jib and never got around to adding hanks.

May 18, 2009
Beneteau First 38 Portland
I've never seen anything like it. Maybe someone else knows? I'll be in Oak Harbor in two weeks (for the Wooden Boat Show) - is your boat there or in Coupeville?

Aug 5, 2010
Ranger 26 Coupeville
Right now it's moored off of Coupeville, well, around the corner from there anyways. I'm in the process of replacing bulkheads so I can get the mast stepped.

Jul 29, 2010
planning purchase considering C&C Beaufort
Odd. Well first time I read this I thought storm jib. But frequently the wire extends beyond the foot of the sail so that the sail is set "flying" . If a wave washes the foredeck, you don't want the sail catching the water. Unless there was a tack pendant, its seems odd for storm use. I think Palacegrand may be closer with his idea of it being a riding sail, though unusual for a boat of this size. May become obvious when you set up the mast. The electronic thingy looks very much like a pickup for a knot meter. But doesn't appear to be marine grade wiring or connectors. I love puzzles like this, please let us know if you resolve the mystery.

Aug 5, 2010
Ranger 26 Coupeville
ondinesail, i was told the electronic thingy was a gust compensator for my ST1000+ Autohelm. It helps to steer a direction without using a compass i guess.

Jul 29, 2010
planning purchase considering C&C Beaufort
Thanks, I had never heard or seen such an instrument sensor. Appreciate you letting me know.

Aug 5, 2010
Ranger 26 Coupeville
Without anyone seeing a picture of the sail in question, i was directed to a picture of something that looks about right. Used as a staysail. (Click the word for an image.) The staysail keeps the boat from rounding up when reaching with a chute.Or so I was told. LOL

Oct 7, 2008
Ranger 26 Mandeville, LA
nice boat you have. does your boat have a mast compression plate installed ?check your chainplates for water penatration. go to my facebook page and look at all the restoration photos. richard mouton

Status
Not open for further replies.