What is this flap thing on the bottom of my H170?

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
Thought I saw a post about this once before but cannot find it. While searching for a leak around the centerboard I find this flap thing mounted on the bottom of the hull just forward of the centerboard slot. Does anyone know what this is or what purpose it serves?

I have removed it and the centerboard pivot hardware to reseal around the bolt holes... but am considering leaving this off and filling the holes - I cannot imagine what it is supposed to do other than add to drag...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Don't know about that one but many swing keel vessels utilize a "keel gasket" to actually reduce drag and minimize water intrusion through the keel trunk. I suspect you may just be looking at the remnants of what was once a swing board gasket. Are there any attachment points at the rear of the trunk?

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
OK, I guess what I see here is a small remnant of a two long pieces of material that form flaps on either side of the centerboard trunk. They have been missing since we purchased the boat 4 years ago, so I don't suppose I will worry about them (and the replacement kit is ~$100). Thanks for the info!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Mark, keep me posted. In all likelihood, I sold that boat as a dealer when located in Zebulon, NC but now long retired. I know the boat

good that dave groshong responded. Be careful because he is an old scalaway like me for which I am now going to be ordered to walk the plank maty by Mr. Groshong. Having a little humor but he is a good fellow to work with and well knowlegable.