What is this device?

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
x.png I've been enjoying the YouTube videos: Sailing Uma. These young sailors re-habbed a Pearson 36. I noticed the above device about mid-way on their boom. Thus far I've not seen any lines attached to it. There does not appear to be a boom vang. Might this device be a way to attach a preventer line? It looks like a line passed thru the upper opening could be snubbed around the post. But what are the other openings for?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You guessed about right. That is a Gybe-Ezy by Wichard. It is a boom brake that can be configured multiple ways including the ability to prevent a Gybe.
It works much like a big climber's figure 8 used to slow a descent. Nice piece of kit - no moving parts to wear out or require servicing.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It serves as a preventer to control the boom in a jibe. A line is woven through the loop holes and the lines are pulled tight or loosen to permit the boom to swing through from one side to the other. The devise acts alike a break for the boom.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There is a Yacht World video - YouTube - on preventers where a British lass shows you how it can be used.... "G rated"

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I've been enjoying the YouTube videos: Sailing Uma. These young sailors re-habbed a Pearson 36.
I like Sailing Uma too, but I am concerned for their safety. They removed their "worthless" lifelines, and their diesel engine in favor of an electric, which they ever seem to use. You really need a dependable auxiliary.

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
I must have skipped the episode where they removed the lifelines; I agree that was unwise. I suspect at that time they'd never been offshore in heavy weather when you can't walk from the cockpit to the foredeck, but can only crawl, and lifelines are then at shoulder height and very reassuring. I have seen Dan often wearing a safety harness, but couldn't see if there are jack lines running fore and aft.
I have seen numerous episodes where they've used the electric motor, mostly entering or leaving a harbor, occasionally to make it in when the wind dies if they're close to shore. I've had enough experience with unreliable outboard motors and inboard diesels that I like the simplicity and reliability of their electric motor.
Some weekend sailors want to be able to get somewhere on time, or get back to the harbor if the wind picks up, and want the control of a more powerful motor. Kika and Dan are disconnected from clocks, and in heavy weather they reef down or heave to.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Sure, it's all great until you have 7 days of overcast skies, dead batteries, and a 50+ knot blows and your anchor drags. They have a great anchor (at least), but if you pick the wrong spot to anchor.... I like their spirit, but they are young and reckless.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If the forecast is for 50kts of wind you better have a plan to get your second anchor set.