What is this called?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2012
Catalina 30 Steppingstone, NY
Hi All-

This is what was used to winterize my engine. It attaches via hose to the fresh water / anti-freeze bucket. Problem is I don't know what that adapter setup would be called. The cap was removed from the raw water filter (and after cleaning out a couple baby mussels) the adapter threads right in.

I'll either buy one of these adapters or install a T valve but for my own education I'd like to know what this would be called (if there is a proper name for such a device).

Thanks,
Alex K.

Attachments

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Hi All-

This is what was used to winterize my engine. It attaches via hose to the fresh water / anti-freeze bucket. Problem is I don't know what that adapter setup would be called. The cap was removed from the raw water filter (and after cleaning out a couple baby mussels) the adapter threads right in.

I'll either buy one of these adapters or install a T valve but for my own education I'd like to know what this would be called (if there is a proper name for such a device).

Thanks,
Alex K.
The photo looks like a 3/4-inch garden hose fittings attached to 3/4-inch pipe, but a wise sailor would take it to the marine store and match it.

Beware of using brass pipe vs bronze pipe for seawater; the brass will fail quickly in salt water, leading to water spraying into your boat.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Ii doubt that you will find this item anywhere in a store. I have a similar adapter that I made myself to connect to the strainer just like you show. For winterizing the other end of the garden hose is dropped into a bucket of water that is refilled by a water hose. After flushing the engine with fresh water, I transfer the hose to a second bucket that is filled with antifreeze and then restart the engine and let it pull the antifreeze into the engine.

The big advantage of this system is that no hoses are removed from fittings- they can be a real PITA to remove in tight places. The whole job is fast and easy with this adapter, a couple buckets and a hose. After winterizing, the original cap is replaced on the strainer.

It looks like the person who made this adapter bought an extra cap and the drilled and machined threads to adapt to a garden hose. That works but it is easier to buy a bushing that steps from the strainer thread size to a 3/4" female pipe thread. Then a fitting that coverts from 3/4" male pipe to a garden hose is threaded into the bushing. Both the bushing and the adapter are standard plumbing items so no machining is required. I bought the bushing in brass or bronze rather than steel so it wouldn't rust. Corrosion of the brass is not an issue because the adapter is only used for a short time during the winterizing process. See the pictures below-

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.