What is the Wing Keel made of?

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
I have a 22 MK II that I am laying up for the winter. I noticed that there is some "wrinkling" of the white material covering the wing keel, at the intersection of keel and the wing. My first impression is that I will need to remove the stuff that is detaching and replace it. So ... what is this stuff? What is the keel made of (iron, lead?). Any suggestions on how to remove the offending material that is lifting off?
Thanks as always,
carlos

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Sounds to me that you have an epoxy coating lifting off a cast iron keel.

"Catalina 22s produced from 1995 onward had the cast iron keel encapsulated in fiberglass, which further reduced potential corrosion issues."

from
https://whichsailboat.com/2015/08/22/catalina-22-review/

Seems after a bit more research the winged keel version of the C 22 MKII should be lead.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I too have a wing keel and I believe it's led not cast iron. The swing keels were cast iron but the fixed keels to my knowledge were not. I have a few battle scars on the sides of mine where the material is exposed a bit but there is no rust at all and it's been this way for some time which makes me think led. I believe they were just covered in glass and gelcoat but don't quote me on that one. You should try posting this on the c22 forum here as there are many more that hang out there that may know such as @CaptDon01 . Perhaps he will find you here though with the tag and respond.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Not positive on the smaller Catalina boats but the larger ones are lead with fairing compound over them to smooth and prep for bottom paint.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Swing keeled C-22's and fixed keels prior to 1995 we're all cast iron, Every wing keel from the new design versions on are a lead alloy. The MK-II's wing keel is the same keel Catalina uses on the Capri-22's. There were several MK-II's that came out of the factory with the Capri-22 fin keels, they were wicked fast and the C-22 Association went NUTS!

Don

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the input. I called Catalina and they confirmed that the keel is lead and the coating is epoxy. Apparently the latter is for looks and for paint. I will probably grind it smoother and re-epoxy this spring. Gotta look good!

Actually, one more question .. what is the difference between fairing compound and epoxy?

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
[QUOTEActually, one more question .. what is the difference between fairing compound and epoxy?[/QUOTE]

The thickening agent to the epoxy, i.e. silica, micro balloons, etc.