What is the Purpose of This Toe Rail Fitting

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
In the attached photo, the circled fitting is located near where the chain plates are affixed to the hull and I don't know precisely what its purpose is. My assumption is that it is for attaching a snatch block or similar device to control lines as needed, perhaps for a spinnaker rigging. Can anyone tell me its intended purpose?

Attachments

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I think you're correct, as well as a possible block for a preventer. It's possible it's for setting up a jack line, too.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:plus:
All of the above? Attaching dock fenders to, tiedown for paddleboard, clipping halyard to so it won't slap at the dock?

I'd feel free to use it for anything it was convenient and handy for.

-Will

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
All is good but the true reason for these pad eyes is to attach your jacklines and tethers for man overboard protection when going forward while off shore.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Is this duplicated on the starboard side? I see that you clipped the end of a halyard to the lower shroud turnbuckle. Perhaps the PO was (OCD) neater and wanted a dedicated pad eye to terminate the unused halyard.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is identified as a PadEye. It is used as a strong attachment to the hull. It can be used for any purpose. It is a multi purpose tool.

Of note it is in the middle of the hull sweep. Near the widest part of the boat's beam. This is a great spot to place a fender as it will be the first place to contact the shore should you bring your boat alongside a dock. It serves as pivot contact point.

If you embrace the use of spring lines in your docking maneuvers a fender in this location is extremely helpful.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
As pointed out above it is a padeye, an attachment point for any number of purposes stated above........preventer, jack line, harness tether, dock line, fender, etc. Kinda handy. I have three on each side of my sailboat.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021
Thanks for all of the ideas. Yes, there is one on the starboard side as well in the same approximate position.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Actually, the one purpose I wouldn't use it for is a tether attachment for a safety harness. Personally, I like keeping those points of attachment as far from overboard as possible. Deck level seems also inconvenient when working under adverse conditions outside the cockpit. I give you my opinion for free, 'cause that's what it's worth.

-Will

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If installed by PO, ya prolly want to make sure that it is through bolted with backing and not simply screwed into the dek surface..

• Helpful

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Found a couple of 41 DS pictures on Google that appear to show the same fitting, so maybe original.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes Andy, the pad eye is likely an original hardware item. They are pretty uniform across all boat designs and manufacturers. As was stated, look under the deck to see that the bolts holding the padeye in place have a backing plate and not just a small washer. Even fender washers are of minimal use. Depending on what you plan to attach to the pad eye you want to be sure the pad eye will not pull out through the deck when placed under load.

Sep 22, 2021
the pad eye is likely an original hardware item
The "deck fittings" diagram in the owner's manual does indicate the presence of a pad eye but it indicates that it is located much farther aft. It's probably more useful where it is actually located, slight forward of amidships.