What is the difference between a "C" & "S"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barnacle Bill

I'm considering buying a Mac, as the adage goes when your're too old for a surfboard, you get a catamaran and when your're too old for a cat, you buy a monohull. My question is which model? I have searched web sites etc. I understand "D" for daggar-board and "C" for center-board but what about this "S" thing? Looking at the specs. there appears to be a difference in displacement, as indicated on this web site. The years built for the different models starts getting vauge also. Please advise I gotta know the difference before I buy. Also being an engineer type, do you guys ever pump the water out of the keel water tank in light air conditions? Thanks in advance for your help. Mr. Bill

B

Bob Cassel

26 D and S are both C's

The C in 26C stands for Classic. It is an unofficial designation. The S stands for Swing centerboard, the D stands for Daggarboard. The hull configuration on both are the same, the D is slightly faster, purportedly because the lack of turbulance caused by the S models centerboard trunk. The other major difference is the rudder. On the D it is an exterior pintle and gudgeon design, on the S there is a stainless steel tiller post that runs inside the transom. Both suffer from significant weather helm until you modify the rudder design. I have a 95 S model and love it.

E

Eric

Info on Classic Macx

Below is a link to a Mac site with lots of documentation on MacGregor Boats. You'll want the "Boats" link.

Z

Zip Walker

Swing Centerboard Cable

You seem a man in the know! Are there any major problems that may be incurred when removing the centerboard while on the trailer to reattach cable or should I just plan on getting wet? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.