What is the definition of a knockdown ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dennis

Luckily I have never had to experience a knockdown but can someone tell me the "official" definition might be ... thanks ... Dennis

T

Terry

Hi Dennis, mine is certainly not official, but

a knockdown occurs when a sail boat lays over far enough to put the mast in or beneath the water. This usually happens when the boat is caught abeam by a large wave, which is a condition to avoid if at all possible. Most sailboats will quickly recover from a knockdown once the wave has passed. Terry

D

Dennis

Thanks Terry ..

Definately want to avoid the mast being horizontal .. :eek:)) .. tx again

T

Terrance M. Maloney

This can also happen with a sudden gust of wind...

This can also happen with a sudden gust of wind. I was in an offshore race with 25/30 knot winds when we got hit by a wave that caused us to unavoidably have to jibe. The main and the spinnaker came over, took out the starboard running back, the sails quickly filled again on the other board and hauled the boat onto its side. The mast and main were in the water and the crew was hanging from whatever they could hold onto to stay in the boat until it righted itself and the rudder was back in the water where we could regain control. What an experience. We finished the race in 4th a few hours later and celebrated being alive.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
knockdown vs rollover

Terrance's experience sounds like a wild broach. This is when the waves and wind are acting opposite and suddenly the waves have more power to heel the boat over than the wind, so the boat actually rolls to windward (boom into the air). I would say that if the mast actually goes into the water-- assuming the main or both sails have also-- you have what is called a capsize or rollover. In conditions that will put the whole mainsail into the water I doubt very strongly the boat is simply going to self-right and continue on with smooth sailing. In fact I would strongly suspect you will sustain major rigging failure from this-- though I would very much like to hear from people with more experience with this situation. I would say a knockdown is any time you 'wet the windows' and/or put the rail so far into the water that maybe the tip of the boom gets wet. It's not quite 90 degrees... maybe 75 or so. In these cases the biggest dangers are of falling overboard and to one's pride. However many people will call any surprise or unplanned occasion for excessive heel a 'knockdown' and I think that sort of makes it all the more exciting for us. JC

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

I've always heard that a knockdown

is being pushed over--by wind or a wave--far enough to put the spreaders in the water. We took such a knockdown--half the fleet did--in a club race. I was crewing on a C&C 33...gray day, spitting rain, light flukey winds out of the south...our heading was west. Ahead we began to see what could only be described as a "green curtain" start to develop over the water, moving toward us, but no indication that there was anything in it but rain...no lightning...the water wasn't whipped up. When we "collided" with the leading of it, it was like being hit with a fist--from the EAST. I was standing at the wheel, the next thing I knew, I was sitting on me arse on the cockpit sole...the boat was over nearly 90--spreader in the water...and my skipper was scrambing to release the main and jib sheets. When he released the main, the boat righted to about 15 degrees, but the jib halyard snarled...while he went forward to untangle it, I was on the wheel again, literally dangling from it with my feet tucked up under me trying to head up. The best I could do keep her from falling off any further. He finally released the jib...we completely righted and came around, but not before the wind put about $250 rip in the jib. I only got the stuffing scared out of me...others in the fleet weren't so lucky...no lost boats, but a couple of cracked ribbed and a broken arm. I'd never crewed in a race before..fortunately I HAD sailed most of my life, or I might never have set foot on another sailboat! :)

E

eric Swift

Knockdown

just finished a great book. Heavy Weather Sailing (4th edition) by K. Adlard Coles. A must for sailors wanting to know more about all of this. It is a very thorough read on what to do under severe weather conditions and has many facinating stories of boats caught at sea and what they did to survive.

A

Alan

The Prize

Peggie gets the prize!! She is correct, a knockdown occurs when the spreaders hit the water (assuming the mast is still attached to the boat) for whatever reason.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I'm with Terry.

Terry: I would have to agree. If you needed spreaders to touch the water there are several boats that could not meet such a fate (Freedom, Nonsuch, Hunter Vision etc). But in actuallity it is probably something in excess of 65 degrees. Way to far for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.