What is the best way to raise my weight in a Bosun Chair?

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
My neighbor has a Bosun Chair, but it's not easy for him to raise my weight with my winch. I understand there is a device that has a 3 to 1 or so ratio that will make it easier to lift my weight. Does anyone know what they call such a device (where to get it) or any other way to raise me up easier? I only have manual winches on my boat.

Thanks
Mike McIntosh

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
My neighbor has a Bosun Chair, but it's not easy for him to raise my weight with my winch. I understand there is a device that has a 3 to 1 or so ratio that will make it easier to lift my weight. Does anyone know what they call such a device (where to get it) or any other way to raise me up easier? I only have manual winches on my boat.

Thanks
Mike McIntosh
rig you up 2 fiddle blocks with 3/8 stay set line and hoist it to the top of the mast then hook the bottom block to your chair and have him pull you up ...no shackles ...and make sure you use proper bowline knots ..and also use a second line as a safety...its called a 4 part block and tackle

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Re: What is the best way to raise my weight in a Bosun Chair

Are you using a winch on your mast or the cabin winch? You might want to try one of your sheet winches. If it is a two speed it will likely give you a 30 -40:1 ratio. With that your grandmother should be able to crank you up. Even in direct drive you will get about a 13:1 ratio. Just make sure whoever is cranking knows what they are doing. If they are selftailing your risk will be that much less

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)

Practical Sailor had an article in the most recent edition discussing a DIY self raising rig that you can use to pull yourself up safely. you might look at that.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.

ATN Top Climber

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
If you have an electric windlass use that instead of the winch (lead the lines there using some blocks at the rails if necessary). Much easier than a manual winch.

Jun 5, 2014

Unfortunately I don't have a windlass winch. I only have the Jib winches and then a winch for the jib and another one for the mainsail halyards. They are self tailoring but is hard for my friend to raise me with them.

I found this method on the internet. Has anyone ever used it? It looks pretty easy/cool. I am leaning towards making one of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLoG0Zg8yOo

I only have the mainsail and Jib (roller furling) halyard that goes to the top of the mast. I am thinking I could hook this easy climb board around the jib halyard, and the bosun chair to the mainsail halyard. It looks like it would be pretty easy to make this apparatus. I also figured I could hook a safety line to the jib halyard above this apparatus. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon

I will agree that if you only have single speed winches, the task can be a chore, but a longer winch handle should make a big difference.

but no matter what method you use for hoisting yourself up there, use a safety line/attachment 100% of the time while you are any higher than the distance you would like to free fall to the deck...
even as safe as it would seem when using new 3/8 line on a large 2 speed self tailing winch, someone who is inexperienced on the winch can have a mishap, or some how let the line slip or get away from them.... and then its your life and limbs that take a hell of a beating on the way down.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Unfortunately I don't have a windlass winch. I only have the Jib winches and then a winch for the jib and another one for the mainsail halyards. They are self tailoring but is hard for my friend to raise me with them.

I found this method on the internet. Has anyone ever used it? It looks pretty easy/cool. I am leaning towards making one of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLoG0Zg8yOo

I only have the mainsail and Jib (roller furling) halyard that goes to the top of the mast. I am thinking I could hook this easy climb board around the jib halyard, and the bosun chair to the mainsail halyard. It looks like it would be pretty easy to make this apparatus. I also figured I could hook a safety line to the jib halyard above this apparatus. Any thoughts?

Thanks
that is a pretty handy device... I use a climbing harness and have my wife hoist me with the winch, but when the task at the masthead takes awhile, it can get tiring hanging in the harness... the simple device shown would allow for a foot rest and for repositioning in the harness.... although so would a couple mast steps permanently mounted up there.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
What you are looking for is a simple block and tackle, but I would suggest at least a 4 to 1 ratio (I use 5). I had been pulling myself aloft for 40+ years, and only recently stopped. You must purchase good quality blocks and at least 1/2" line (easier to grip than smaller line) and there is a special knot to secure the rig when you are aloft. You just take the top of the rig to the masthead and attach the bottom to your bosun's chair and pull yourself up. Nobody else needed. A set up like this will cost a pretty penny, depending on the length of your mast, but it works well and is safe, even at sea. I'm not at all sure all those fancy climbing rigs would be safe to use at sea.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida

Can you help him by climbing with your hand and feet while he takes the slack? Not really good on the winches to lift dead weight. Make sure you have maximum wraps on the winch drum.

Jun 5, 2014
Can you help him by climbing with your hand and feet while he takes the slack? Not really good on the winches to lift dead weight. Make sure you have maximum wraps on the winch drum.

Yes, sir that is the way we did it. I used my hands and pulled up as he used the winch. It was tiring. I only went half way up and was a little tired. I figured there had to be an easier way?

Thanks

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yes, sir that is the way we did it. I used my hands and pulled up as he used the winch. It was tiring. I only went half way up and was a little tired. I figured there had to be an easier way?

Thanks
There is an easier way. But please, don't yell at me for the suggestion.

Have to boat lifted on the hard and use a bucket truck to do the work. Then put her back in the water. Unless, of course, the mast can be stepped then you should lower the mast, do the work, then reverse the process. I am sure climbing the mast is a tradition, but we have the technology. I happen to be looking for a bridge that I can pull along side that is just as high as the top of my mast. Then I can do some work. LOL

Or, if the bridge is not high enough, use the water bags hanging from the mast method. Like the boater uses water bags to heel his boat so he can go under low bridges. Know what I mean?

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Most of the 'good' riggers I know do it this way ... they also are bare footed and wear shorts and use their 'leg/foot skin' to 'adhere' to the mast while climbing. They usually start by standing on the BOOM at the gooseneck and grasp the lower shrouds with their hands and mast with their bare feet. The safety rope is simply attached to a line thats belayed by an assistant at a winch ... the assistant just 'follows' the climber by taking up any slack on the rope and doesnt add strain on the safety rope until the climber is at the top.

BTW - dont use halyard snaps, shackles, etc. when connecting to a bosuns chair, always TIE the rope to the harness/chair, preferably with a doubled figure of eight ... its a 'safety' thing.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have a mast mate ladder and a bosens chair. I climb while wife keeps chair under my ass. When I get where I'm going she secures the chair and I sit and work. Great system with two people.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
ATN

I made my own ATN mast climber a few years ago and shopped around the parts
and use a bosun's chair I go on sale and I got a canvas shop to make the leg straps I had some heavy duty straps and found the ascenders at good price too.
I have inmast so I use the topping lift line and have my wife help with spinnaker
halyard as safety line.
Have used it to change the Anchor light to Led and I have back problems but
the ATN system worked for me,I wait for calm day and cooler weather.
Nick

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: ATN

With a 4 part tackle and a 180 pound passenger. If the passenger pulls 40 pounds on the fall then the weight in the chair reduces to 140 and the chair lifts because the lift force equals 160 pounds minus friction losses.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe

Not sure I'd trust myself to the cleat on that device in that video. There are rope ascenders made for this purpose, used in caving quite commonly.