What is the best non skid deck paint?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
In researching this subject I have come to realize that it is all about compromise. My H-34 has the molded in non skid pattern that doesn’t really work that well. I’m interested in applying a non-skid surface that looks good and is durable. It needs to be grippy but it does not have to be the grippiest. Also, I would like to be able to choose the color. It seems to be all about looks, vs grippyness, vs how to keep it clean, vs ease of application. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
The better the grip the harder it is to clean. KiwiGrip is popular and pretty easy, friends put it on in white. Looked good for about a week, couldn't get it clean after that. Darker colors don't show dirt but get hot. My work boats have a dark grey, they don't show the dirt but they'll just about melt your shoes on a sunny day. An off white or cream, or really light blue are a good compromise.
I used two part poly paint with non skid grit mixed in and it looks good and cleans alright. Not as grippy as Kiwi but easier to clean. Use the grit supplied by the paint company, not sand. The special grit is light weight and stays mixed. Sand just sinks to the bottom of the can. Also when the paint starts to wear your see the sand color showing through and it looks dirty even when clean.

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
I have used kiwi grip on two seperate boats and various other projects. I am a big fan. Its very easy to apply, very easy to alter texture intensity while keeping the same overall appearance (your seat bottoms can be more tame but have a matching appearance to the cockpit floor/ deck). I used the slightly off white version on two boats and it didnt just wipe clean but i never had an issue cleaning it up with soap and a soft brush.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
It depends on how much you wish to spend. I just wrote in an earlier post about Awlgrip You might want to seek it out above so I don't write it over again. There are a number of nonskid formulas out there. Interlux Interdeck is one example. It is ready to go out of the can. But, for the best, consider Awlgrip and the steps to apply it.