What is the best anchor for a 2006 Hunter 38?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Please refer to the sizing recommendation for a Manson Supreme anchor. I had a 35 # anchor and it held well in the SF Bay on my Hunter 386. I am replacing it with a heavier Manson Supreme for my Hunter 46 and the 35# anchor is for sale.

Attachments

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
BTW, the Rocna is very good but 2x the cost of the Mantus and I believe equal performance.
Price for a 55 pound Rocna and Mantus is near the same. There is a stainless Rocna that costs a lot more than galvanized but the galvanized anchors are priced within dollars of Mantus. The Rocna is a single cast piece as compared to components that you assemble which likely costs more to build.

Both are great anchors, my preference is for something simple/strong that can not be disassembled for my primary anchor. A large Mantus would be far easier to stow disassembled in a lazarette if used as a secondary than the Rocna.

MDBack

May 9, 2013
Hunter Legend 35.5 Cornucopia, WI
We love our Rocna 15kg on our Hunter Legend 35.5. Would go one larger if we had a windlass, but have never drug even in 70+kt winds. 100 feet of chain backed up with 200 feet of 5/8" rode and we use a Davis snubber with dyneema loops to the chain and it works great. That said, probably any of the modern "pointy scoop" type anchors will provide better service over an older type (danforth, bruce, plow, etc.). Bottom composition is of prime importance. Dive your anchor if you can or are at all unsure of the holding or are facing severe forecasted conditions to make sure it has set. We've seen 2 inches of sand over slick rock that wouldn't hold a dinghy with tons of boats "anchored" there and have moved 500 yards to better holding.

All of the other comments have been great. It is good to see this type of knowledge being shared. We are all safer when the boat anchored next to us also knows what they're doing.