What is the best anchor for a 2006 Hunter 38?

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 356 Maple Bay, British Columbia
We currently have a Delta 35 lb claw anchor with 150’ of chain on our 2006 Hunter 38 and drag in high winds. We need something that will hold in mud, rocks, seaweed, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
We've used Bruce, Danforth and CQR anchors in the past. None of them set as easily and hold as well as our Rocna. We use the 25 kg Rocna with 200' chain and 150' rope on our H410.. We also have started using as a snubber the mantus bridle which is around 30' each side with a chain hook that seems to have helped the boat swinging as wildly due to freeboard, as rigging an anchor sail with our high boom, and stack pack isn't simple. Tested up to around 30-35 kts with as little as 3:1 scope in mud (very crowded evening in Montague), and didn't budge. Prior to this we just used a dockline with a rubber shock tied with a rolling hitch. It worked fine to reduce shock loads but didn't help reducing the swinging around in shifting breezes like the bridle does.

There is a nice anchor alarm app for iphone called Anchor! that we've used which is really neat in that you can set a circle, place your anchor and watch your boat track around with wind/tide changes. We once experienced a shift of 180 degrees and +25kts each way with around 5:1 out over mud and had zero issues with resetting. I can't speak highly enough of how much we like the Rocna. Just be sure to size it appropriately, and have enough chain and a good snubber or bridle to take the loads off the windlass.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Rob & Rita, no Rocna experience here. Wrote an article awhile ago about our anchoring system that we have been using for many years. Likely will not change to a different system since the one we have works quite well. Also notice that many of the ships that transit our waters also have a Danforth style anchor. That article follows: Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Manson Supreme solve our problems with the H356 - and we had lots of them. But were around Long Island with sandy/muddy bottom. You realize you've let Beetlejuice out.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have a Rocna 15kg on my Tartan 3800, has been working very well. 90' of chain and then rope. I imagine our boats are of a similar size and displacement.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh Boy... Oh boy ohboy.. An anchor question. I love this subject...

Boat 35 feet, 15000 lbs. ACCO high test anchor chain, 105ft x 3/8 inch 250 feet 5/8 Plait rode.... Anchor- Mantus 35 Lb. If planning to anchor regularly in 40 pls knots gales... Probably would step up to a 45lb

(My opinion) Anchor choice should be based on area sailing conditions, Boat weight and length, chain and rode. Anchor choices for me are the Spade and the Mantus. Mantus made a great deal at the Seattle Boat show. They got my business. Check out SV Panope
Where a series of underwater test show interesting images of anchors under tidal changes and what happens when your boat changes direction and the anchor needs to “reset”.

You have asked a question that is really personal to the boat owner. Only you can decide what is best for you. These are the issues I considered in my decision.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Limited use but my 25lb Excel has caught the first time and held everytime. 80 feet of chain and 220 feet of rode.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
We currently have a Delta 35 lb claw anchor and drag in high winds. We need something that will hold in mud, rocks, seaweed, etc. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
A question for you? How much chain do you have on your rode? Reason I ask is that out 38 came from the factory (Mariner Package) with 25 pound Delta. In looking at the specs for that anchor it was very marginal for that weight boat especially with the amount of freeboard the 38 has. I replaced it with a 35 pound Delta and added 30 feet of chain to the rode. It’s held well any time we’ve anchored. Wondering if more chain could be a solution for you instead of a new anchor.

I actually wish I’d added even more chain. Perhaps even an all chain rode since my boat neighbor did all chain and he said it stopped the anchor sailing his boat did. And that’s an issue I have that I’ve solved in another way. But an all chain rode would be an easier deployment solution.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
My 2003 Hunter 356 came with a 25 lb Delta, and my friend who bought a Hunter 456 same time and I were both anchored in a cove on Ky Lake. We both drug during the night and had to move to a different location to get in the lee of the wind. He bought a 66 lb Delta and I bought his 44 lb delta. Same chain and rode from the factory - 25 feet chain and 125 feet of nylon rode. I’ve anchored 277 times; only drug once in 50 knots since - and have had gusts up to 60 knots without dragging but had adequate scope. Scope and weight make a huge difference. Some anchors are better than others, but my experience is weight and scope are the most important factors.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I installed a Manson Supreme (plow) anchor with 40 feet of chain and another 250 feet of rope on our Hunter 386 that held well in mud in the SF Bay. The following articles on anchor and rode length/selection might be useful:

How to Pick an Anchor Rope Size, Type, Length and More

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Have also tried to use a Delta anchor and experienced anchor drag. Have had good luck with a Mantus anchor. I think any of the "new design" anchors like the Rocna or Manson Supreme would work just as well. The Mantus might be a little less expensive.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We had a Delta on a Catamaran while in Belize... It would drag in the least amount of breeze... Looked very pretty. Heavy. We were advised to use two anchors. A Danforth wanna be and the Delta. The Delta had chain and rode and drag....

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 356 Maple Bay, British Columbia
We've used Bruce, Danforth and CQR anchors in the past. None of them set as easily and hold as well as our Rocna. We use the 25 kg Rocna with 200' chain and 150' rope on our H410.. We also have started using as a snubber the mantus bridle which is around 30' each side with a chain hook that seems to have helped the boat swinging as wildly due to freeboard, as rigging an anchor sail with our high boom, and stack pack isn't simple. Tested up to around 30-35 kts with as little as 3:1 scope in mud (very crowded evening in Montague), and didn't budge. Prior to this we just used a dockline with a rubber shock tied with a rolling hitch. It worked fine to reduce shock loads but didn't help reducing the swinging around in shifting breezes like the bridle does.

There is a nice anchor alarm app for iphone called Anchor! that we've used which is really neat in that you can set a circle, place your anchor and watch your boat track around with wind/tide changes. We once experienced a shift of 180 degrees and +25kts each way with around 5:1 out over mud and had zero issues with resetting. I can't speak highly enough of how much we like the Rocna. Just be sure to size it appropriately, and have enough chain and a good snubber or bridle to take the loads off the windlass.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had 35 delta on my 2006 H-36 and now have 35 Mantus and love it always graphs very fast first time dropping it and holds really good and also have about 90’ chain but here in Florida mostly use 50’ and we cruise a lot and hardly ever go in a marina and anchor mostly.
Nick

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Couple of things here. The Delta is not a claw; rather, an unhinged plow-type anchor. So, I’m not 100% clear on what type of anchor you’re referring to. However, Deltas appear to be the anchor of choice with which to equip NEW boats. Just walk a boat show dock sometime and that is what you’ll see on the new boats. They likely persist on the yachts through a few resales, etc., until arriving to a present owner who, for all anyone knows, might the first one to attempt to use it, etc. Thus discovering its “issues” and wishing replacement. One issue might even be that it’s only “just” matched to the boat; i.e., at the smallish end of the range for that boat. That would be an anchor rated for, say, a boat between 25 and 41 ft on 38-ft boat, versus a slightly larger one rated for a boat between 35 and 52 ft on a 38-ft boat. The latter would be the 35# Delta, which is the one you evidently have. So, moving on.

I’ve noticed that few sailors seem to take the trouble to fully set their anchors. The anchor rode should be veered while the boat is making some sternway or leeway to approximately 3:1 scope and then stopped off until the boat comes round head to wind, or stops making any sternway. At that point, or a few minutes after, the boat should be allowed to idle in reverse a few minutes, say two or three. After that, the boat should be powered in reverse until the anchor is clearly set (boat not making sternway), which might be immediate.

If trying to actually anchor in high wind, such as 15 kt or higher, the rode should be veered rapidly as the boat falls off to leeward. This should be done by gravity drop (not powered down by windlass). With about 3:1 scope, stop off the windlass and let the boat come up. If it doesn’t rather quickly and smartly and then hold, veer another scope amount, i.e., 4:1, and stop off. If the boat does not come up and hold after that, you may need to haul up and make a fresh attempt. However, it’s one’s option to veer to 5:1 scope. (You could also apply this to the 1st situation above,) Personally, I think it’s useful to know what is the minimum, or near minimum, scope that will set the anchor, and then work from there to get your final scope. You might still wish to test your set by powering back for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Not only does it seem that new boats come equipped with a Delta anchor, they also seem to be undersized. Last month in Block Island a very modern 65' motorboat tried to anchor next to me in a very tight anchorage. The Delta anchor on this boat looked like a toy anchor based on the size of the boat. After the anchor kept dragging, the Captain gave up.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
BTW. You may have noticed that many cruising yachts carry two bowers up front. Usually they are of different types for different bottoms encountered. For yachts with bow rollers, the two types are usually Bruce (claw type) and Delta/CQR/Spade or some other plow-type anchor which could include the second-generation ones (Rochna, Mantus, Manson). In my opinion, the Bruce would likely serve better soft muddy bottoms and the Delta or CQR. Plows are better in "weedy" bottoms such as those of surf grass, turtle grass, or eel grass, etc.; perhaps also kelp. Anchoring among rocks is a specialty of its own. The important part being having the skill/technique needed to get the anchor back aboard. I suppose any type of anchor might be able to snag a rocky crevice and hold, but some recommend the folding grapnels.

Last edited:

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
All of the recent vintage Hunters came from the factory with Deltas, my H41ds with a 44#. Problems in the Gulf with them. I switched to a Mantis 55# and haven't had a problem since. Now the original 20' chain and rode are with a backup FX-37 Fortress. New rode is 105' chain plus nylon rode and snubber. I have to check out that Mantis snubber Vanisland mentioned

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
BTW, the Rocna is very good but 2x the cost of the Mantus and I believe equal performance.