What is the best air conditioner for Hunter 40'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnny Hughes

I have two

I have two a/c one is a 16,500 btu Mermaid which is mounted under the settee on the port side in the saloon. The other is smaller and is in the hanging closet on the starboard side of the aft cabin. MOst of the time the 16,500btu in the saloon cools the entire boat.

J

Jim Vincent

Two, also

Forrest, I have a '93 40.5 Legend, and also have two units. a 12k in the aft cabin port closet feeds the aft cabin

B

bob

cruiseair

i've had cruiseair systems on a h31 and now on my h40.5...in a total of 7 yrs of use, i've never had the first problem of any kind...i can't say that for any other piece of equipment...i highly recommend.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Size is far more important than brand

Too many boat owners try to save money by going with a system that's too small for the boat. When it doesn't cool sufficiently, they blame the brand instead of themselves. That said, I've had Cruisaire on two boats...the first needed only one repair (starter capacitor replacement) in 11 years, the second was 21 years old when I sold the boat and had never needed any repairs. Cruisaire and MarineAire merged a couple of years ago, so those two brands are now interchangeable.

C

Chris Rice

I agree-Two is best

I have an 87 Hunter 40 and have a 12,000 in the starboard closet of the aft stateroom and a 16,000 under the port settee. Right now the 16,000 is awaiting a new water pump and the aft unit barely cools the cabin, even with the forward stateroom door shut (its over 90 down here now, can get the cabin to almost 80, which still feels good). With both units running the boat cools great, can even cook in the galley or oven and not feel the effects. Be sure to use a good quality water pump and water strainer on each unit and check the water strainer frequently. BTW, having two units comes in handy when one goes down, as I'm learning now... Chris Rice

S

Scott Dube

Sizing????

Peggy points out an interesting point. I looked the A/C section of west marine and they give a sizing formula. LXWX7X14=min BTU unit for a 40 ft boat 14 feet wide that comes to under 9000 btu. But everyone seems to have more than twice that amount... What gives? Scott

P

I think I know what you missed...

Unless you have a totally flat deck, here are two areas of the cabin--the area below deck (from the sole up the level of the gunwhales), an the area of the cabin that rises above the deck (higher than the gunwhales). You have to add the BTUs needed to cool both areas to get the total needed to cool your boat. For instance...if it takes 8,000 BTUs to cool the part of the cabin belowdeck, and 6,000 BTUs to cool the part abovedeck, you need 14,000 BTUs to cool your boat. But if you're smart, you'll add 10%. Better to have AC that only have to run on "low" most of the time than one that has to struggle to keep the cabin bearable.

S

Scott

But Peggie???

But Peggie the west marine formula says length X width X 7 feet (average height) does that not account for the space above the "deck". I'm sure you are correct because your estimate is inline with what people have and what west recomends in terms of unit vs footage. I'm left scratching my head over the formula though... Thanks, Scott

P

Scott, I took it from the WM catalog...

Here it is, word for word from the the West Advisor on page 463 of 2000 catalog (I don't have a 2001 edition): "Step 2: Determine cooling capacity needed. The following formula will help you size and air conditioning system for your boat: A. Cabin area below deck L xW x 7 x 14 btu B. Cabin area above deck L x W x 7 x 14 btu A B = total btu required. Choose a unit that most closely equals your requirments, but do not downside to a lesser btu-capacity unit. This will only limit the system's cooling of your boat. A multiple system is required to produce 16,000 btu or greater." Either West left a step out of the 2001 Advisor (it can happen...they put a photo of a SeaLand Tankwatch III with the AcuGage), or you missed a step when you read it.

E

Ed

A/C Hunter 40

Hi there; We have a Marine Air installation. In the Starboard settee we have a 16,000 BTU unit and in the Starboard aft cabin we have a 10,000 BTU unit. They work very well in our heat here and have been no trouble for at least 2 years of living aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.