What is the best 26x tow vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glenn Dubin

I am planning a purchase of a used 26x in the near future and look forward to being able to take it to several landlocked lakes in Washington State. I am concerned about my vehicle's ability to tow it however. Currently I own a '90 Toyota 4-runner 4WD and auto, which as served us well, but I'm afraid is not up to the task of schlepping a 26x over the passes. What types of vehicles are most 26x owners using and what kinds of experiences have owners had?

B

Bill

Bigger the Better

When you tow the higher the vehicles rated tow weight the larger safety factor you have. Generally speaking, the vehicle has to work less to tow the weight compared to a truck with a lighter tow weight. Biggest factors are frame and engine. Suburban/Tahoes are great for their internal capacity and tow weight. Almost any big pick-up will also do. While many tow with mid-size SUVs, their tow weight is on the margins for the 26X and you'll notice it when you hit a hill and also in vehicle wear and tear.

F

Fred Scott

Your requirements may different then mine

Mountain passes may be fun if you have the right vehicle.Going through the mountains my weight could be larger then yours as I go for extended trips with lots of supplies bringing weight into the picture. My cargo weight plus the Macgregor 26X runs as high as 7,000 lbs or more. Thats gas, water, food, clothing and what ever I need for a 30 day trip towing my boat for 1500 miles one way with some great steep hills. I did have F250 with a 460 pulled real well. Now I have a F350 crewcab dually and Power Stroke Diesel a little bit overboard but she sure can climb the hills.

K

Kevin

Tow vehicle

Glenn: I currently tow my Mac 26x with a Land Rover Discovery and am purchasing a new tow vehicle... A few factors to consider when choosing a vehicle: 1. Tow capacity as rated by Mfg. 2. Gross vehicle capacity. (tow

C

Curtiss Grant

Towing vehicle

The previous articles have excellent points particularily regarding safety. I pull with a 4WD Ford Ranger but it is only adequate and I do not have mountains nor crosswinds. My trips are 200 to 600 miles on the Gulf Coast flat land. I upgraded my old Ranger, which had 125K miles, to a new one partly because of the strain it was putting on the old engine. I did not want to get caught with major engine repair and it was time for an upgrade anyway. Safety is a factor. A passing semi will frequently move you around. Heavy cross winds and road or trailer problems are concerns. I upgraded my trailer tires to eliminate that potential. The wind drag from pulling the boat is not to bad because the bow of the boat splits the forward wind. But, your vehicle will pull it. I run between 60 and 70 MPH under good conditions Good luck

R

Russ Puterbaugh

Longer wheel base and torque

Although I trailer a 26S rather than a 26X the problems and solutions are the same. I have made two trips to Lake Mead under the same weather conditions; clear, sunny and warm. The first trip was with a Dodge Dakota, 4x4, long wheelbase, club cab with 5sp. manual transmission, 4.0L V6 and type 3 hitch. Although adequate for cruising the flats it became winded over Malad pass on the way down and extremely so from St. George to Cedar City, Utah on the way north. It delivered 13 mpg overall fom a vehicle that unloaded had given an average of 21 mpg. Stability was excellent even when driving through the Virgin River Gorge at 60 mph, although you always knew there was a large object behind you. The second trip was with a Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4, 350 v8, 4 spd auto and clas 5 hitch. For me, the added weight, wheelbase, width, power and torque has paid off in comfort and convenience. It delivered 15 mpg overall and the only downside was the constant downshifting of the transmission through the Salt Lake City area while in cruise control at 70 mph. This would happen at each overpass. Slowing down and leaving it in 3rd would alleviate this behavior. If you're going over passes, I recommend a heavier vehicle with longer wheelbase and wider stance. Slowing down and using the proper gears will make the driving easier too. I might add that I once tried towing with a Range Rover Discovery, but after just a few miles from Jakson to Yellowstone I knew that the boat was too much for the car.

T

Thaddeus Rice

Tow vehicle

A good rule of thumb is for the tow vehicle to be rated for at least 10% more than the load. Remember that the rating will go down the higher the altitude. I drive tractor-trailers for a living. when I climb a mountain I dont even look at the speedometer. I pay attention to the RPMs. That is the only indication to how hard your enginge is working. If you need to be the first one to the top then buy the biggest engine they make. However once you are at the top is where your concern should be. Buy the vehicle with the biggest brakes you can afford and the engine will have plenty of horse power. I would add a second axle to the boat trailer before I gave to much concern to the wheel base of the tow vehicle.

C

Captain Kimo

Have 96' Toyota 4Runner as Tow Vehicle

I have a 96' Mac26X which I tow with a 96' Toyota 4Runner, SRC, 4WD, 3.41 liter engine, 6 cylinder. Have never had a problem in towing since 1996. My 4Runner is rated for 5000 LB tow rate. Check your Toyota manual this rating is there somewhere. The manual advises to tow with the overdrive off (O/D OFF light will show). The boat empty is only 3600 LB. I did change the trailer tires to GoodYear Marathon 15" Trailer Radials, however, to increase the carrying capacity to 3800 LB. Most have trouble with weight distribution. Trailer tongue weight should be about 10% of the load and 18" off the ground, to tow without swaying of the trailer. I carry spare anchor and chain and miscellanious fittings in a tub in the V berth to increase weight for the tonque.

Status
Not open for further replies.