What is marine wire conduit?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Ward, I didn't see where you posted the specific split loom you are considering but in the course of my current wiring project I had to remove a lot of split loom from the boat that was not self extinguishing, as noted by the blue stripe.

Also saw this from ABYC - Conductors that may be exposed to physical damage shall be protected by loom, conduit tape, raceways or other equivalent protection. When AC and DC conductors are run together, the AC conductors shall be sheathed, bundled, or otherwise kept separate from the DC conductors. Loom used to cover conductors shall be self-extinguishing. The base product (or resin) shall be classified as V-2 or better, in accordance with UL 94, Tests for Flammability of Plastic Materials.
The link in post #6. Here is the description:
"Flame retardant. Provides chafing and quality appearance in marine wiring systems. Complies with ABYC standard 8.15.19. Meets UL94 V2 standard. High abrasion resistance. Temperature rated to 275° F. Black with Blue stripe."

That answers my question, loom can be used to protect conductors. It also sounds like triplex, because it is conductors bundled in a sheathing, already meets the requirement by being bundled and sheathed.

Many thanks as that basically answers my question. I can use the wire loom with blue stripe to provide protection of wiring if needed.

You could still use the loom, but you'd be trapping heat areound the cable. I don't think you'd need it, but your boat, your choice. I used regular plumbing pipe for the conduit.
Ron, what I like about the loom is easy installation and flexibility.

just in areas where it will subject to chafe, such as passing through a bulkhead or around a bend.
Good point. That simplifies my plan.

Thanks everyone.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...Ron, what I like about the loom is easy installation and flexibility. ....
Beneteau used the split wire loom for "conduit" when it built my boat. It is crushed several places when the married the hull/liner/deck. Can't even run wires through it, never the less to protect it. "easy" is false economy.