What is life of a gel-cell battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Grosz

I've had gel-cell batteries in my 33.5 since 1992. They have been well crared fdor but I've noticed they seem to discharge faster now. What is the life expectancy of this type of battery?

M

mark schaefer

overdue

dan...i never got more than five years....you are doing really well if they lasted eight...got your mony worth

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
May '90

Dan: I purchased 2 gels from W/M in May of 1990. I look at them once or twice a year. Have not even needed to clean the terminal (of course). They have not even been a the proper type of charger either (Pro Mariner 1985 vintage). I am also curious what the projected life of these things. I am also upgrading my charger to Statpower 40. I would also be interested in hearing what others have experienced with Gels. There is something wrong when they only last 5 years. I know people that get that much life or more out of wet cells.

J

Jim Logan

Gel Cell Life

Have two gel type batteries, have 1990 warrenty date on them, have been well maintained but used with a 1988 vintage charger, still working fine, as far as I can tell.

M

Michael O'Mara

Gel Cell Life

We went to gel cells 6 years ago and have never looked back! However, I never leave the 1986 battery charger on for more than 2 hours and only when I am there to observe. I have heard that some people have had poor charging results using the old style charge with gel cells. We have had NO problems (so far). I now leave the batteries right on the boat during the winter with no ill effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.