What is best size outboard for a S2 7.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2005
- - Cleveland, MS
To do some offshore cruising, what size outboard would you recommend for the S2 7.9?

T

Tom

MOTOR SIZE

Howdy- I love it when I can share my opinion.... I'm on a 9.2 A with an inboard 15 hsp diesel (wishing it was a twenty), and we JUST came from a twentyfive foot hunter. There was a 6 hsp kicker on her and it really worked well, but there many times I wish I had a little more horsepower just to push thru those bigger waves. Honestly a late model 9.9 would serve you very well. Try to get one with a small built-in altenator. It'll keep your batteries juiced, And make sure you get the LONG SHAFT! Watch Craig'sList.Com for a good deal. Cheers, Tom

T

Tom

maybe a little more.....

Now that read my ad.... Maybe a fifteen horse would push you around better. All the best, -Tom

D

Dave

FWIW

On my 7.3, I have a Nissan 9.8 hp 2-cycle long shaft. To push my boat at hull speed, I only need ~half throttle with the standard prop. In hindsight, I probably could have gotten away with a 5 horse and saved some weight. J-24s typically use 4 hp kickers (but they have a pretty slippery hull shape). But...what exactly do you mean by offshore cruising? Will you need to run your engine for 12 hours continuously in big seas? Or are you still taking out in and out of harbors?

D

Dave

FWIW

On my 7.3, I have a Nissan 9.8 hp 2-cycle long shaft. To push my boat at hull speed, I only need ~half throttle with the standard prop. In hindsight, I probably could have gotten away with a 5 horse and saved some weight. J-24s typically use 4 hp kickers (but they have a pretty slippery hull shape). But...what exactly do you mean by offshore cruising? Will you need to run your engine for 12 hours continuously in big seas? Or are you still taking out in and out of harbors?

D

Dave

FWIW

D

Dave

FWIW

D

Dan

S2 Manuals

My S2 6.8m Manual stated that i could hang a 9.9hp motor off the back of my boat. But i am using the engine that came when i bought the boat which would be a 7.5hp Honda 1982. Dan

D

Dan

S2 Manuals

My S2 6.8m Manual stated that i could hang a 9.9hp motor off the back of my boat. But i am using the engine that came when i bought the boat which would be a 7.5hp Honda 1982. Dan

D

Dan

S2 Manuals

D

Dan

S2 Manuals

Apr 8, 2005
- - Cleveland, MS
Head to wind 25 -30 knots....

How well does the 7.9 perform with outboard motor in over 25 knot winds, with 6 foot seas heading into the wind? How about following seas in same condition?

Apr 8, 2005
- - Cleveland, MS
Head to wind 25 -30 knots....

How well does the 7.9 perform with outboard motor in over 25 knot winds, with 6 foot seas heading into the wind? How about following seas in same condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.