What is an Ericson 38-200?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2006
- - TBD
I haven't found an answer to this question yet. Talked to several yacht brokerages and they didn't know the difference between the Ericson 38 and the 38-200 either. Does anyone know? Could this be a more deluxe model? What are the specific differences, if any? I'd appreciate any input on this question. THANKS! Darryl

N

Noel Hyde

The difference involves different interior layouts as well as the location of the auxiliary. For instance, in my 38-200 (which I love) the Yanmar is under the sink in the galley which is directly forward of the companionway. I have all the info and pictures if more info is desired. Noel Hyde

May 18, 2006
- - TBD
Please tell me more

Noel, Thanks for your reply. You're the first person that I've talked to who knows any differences. I recently looked at an Ericson 38-200 for sale that had a layout I liked.....the dining table sort of wrapped around the mast....had a little cutout for the mast. And the galley wasn't "L" shaped - it was at an angle which gave it a more contemporary look, not to mention more room. Can you share the different plans, or options, that are available? Additionally.....whether it is the standard 38 or the 38-200, is the quality the same, or is one more deluxe than the other? I particularly liked the openness and roominess of the 38-200 I saw. Sincerely, Darryl Kuntz (970) 749-6999.

Jul 6, 2004
- - Houston, Texas
aft head

Darryl The 38 came in 3 layouts. Two layouts had the head forward. The 200 model was started in '86, and had the head aft, and a private cabin aft. The first few 200's have the engine under the galley sink, but it was soon moved back under the companionway steps for the rest of the production run through the late 90's. Quality and available equipment were good if built by Ericson through 1990, and even better when Pacific Seacraft took over starting in 1991. The Pacific Seacraft models are much more expensive. The Specs & Documents section at www.EricsonYachts.org has original factory brochures.

T

Tim

38-200

The headliner was also raised on the 38-200 to provide an additional inch or two of headroom for us tall folks. I believe 1988 was the last year Ericson built the 38-200 before Pacific Seacraft took over. Unfortunately in the 38-200 they removed the two dorades and replaced them with a small deck hatch, as such, there is no passive ventilation on the 38-200 in inclement weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.