What is a Starboard board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I've come across many posts here talking about use of Starboard board but what is it? I know it is not wood. Is it same as those white plastic/teflon like material used for chopping board?
I have this 3"x10"x 1/2" thick "plastic" pad under each engine mounts. My guess is it's part of the engine alignment shimming. It is hard, light, stiff and not slippery like teflon. Are those Starboard?
Thanks in advance and a Very Merry Christmas to All. :dance:

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Ken: Basically it is the same stuff that cutting board are made from, but it also has a UV stabilizer so it can be used in exterior applications.

Oct 29, 2005
Ken: Basically it is the same stuff that cutting board are made from, but it also has a UV stabilizer so it can be used in exterior applications.
Cutting board? I take it you meant those found in kitchen. Ok we do have those for kitchen. Thanks.

Mulf

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 410 Chester, MD (Kent Island)
From Defender.com's website:

"King StarBoard® is the original marine-grade polymer and the industry standard. It is the product of a proprietary process called K-Stran™, the most advanced manufacturing process available for producing consistently flat continuous sheets. King StarBoard® is environmentally stabilized to withstand the harshest marine conditions. It will not rot or discolor like teak and other solid woods, and it will not delaminate like wood laminates. King StarBoard® is easy to work with using standard woodworking tools, and design changes are a snap. In addition, the installed cost of King StarBoard® is less than teak, other common marine woods, and fiberglass. Plus, our large sheet sizes maximize your yield. Boat buyers appreciate King StarBoard’s® low-maintenance finish. Repair and refinishing due to weathering and decay are eliminated, and cleaning is easy. King StarBoard® has a handsome matte finish on both sides to hide scuffs and scratches that would show on glossy textured sheets or acrylics. King StarBoard® is made entirely from FDA & USDA Approved materials"

I have used it in several projects, including companionway doors.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Starboard has many applications but the one thing it is hard to do is to glue the stuff together in pieces. I had tried many mediums but one day I was frustrated and looked at my Gorialla glue. I bonded two pieces together and it held even after hitting it and throwing it against concrete. The trick is cut evenly with the sides sanded and then trowling the glue all over to give it a full coat surfact and then clamping together. When clamping, I had placed wood boards on both sides and used many clamps. Let dry 24 hours. Even the starboard maker was amazed.

crazy dave condon

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Ken, this stuff is great for marine and wet applications. Save your money you can buy the same product for any decent lumberyard. It was originally called "AZEK" it comes in sheets, 4x8', 4x10', 1/4", 3/9",1/2",3/4"and 1". Also comes in 1x 0r 5/4" nominal sizes, x 4,6,8,10,and 12". Sometimes you will see one side with a wood grain finish, AZEK makes it own glue also. You will see it under lots of different names since the patent ran out years ago. Ask for their composite materials and see what brand they carry. They are basically the same, and work great in marine environment...Red

Mar 13, 2004
Hunter 356 Port Huron, MI
If you want to want to see some on your 326, take a look at your stern rail seats. The white stuff under the teak slats would be starboard, or some other manufacture's variation.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Ken, this stuff is great for marine and wet applications. Save your money you can buy the same product for any decent lumberyard. It was originally called "AZEK" it comes in sheets, 4x8', 4x10', 1/4", 3/9",1/2",3/4"and 1". Also comes in 1x 0r 5/4" nominal sizes, x 4,6,8,10,and 12". Sometimes you will see one side with a wood grain finish, AZEK makes it own glue also. You will see it under lots of different names since the patent ran out years ago. Ask for their composite materials and see what brand they carry. They are basically the same, and work great in marine environment...Red
Actually AZEK and Starboard are not the same. AZEK is a PVC product and Starboard an a UV stabilized HDPE (high-density polyethelyne). These products are quite different.. There are other brands of UV stabilized HDPE such as Seaboard. Hamilton Marine sells Seaboard and it is less costly than Starboard...

canuck

Sep 13, 2011
HUNTER 39C BC
Check out Buckcraft in Florida. They are a dealer and fabricator. Had them make me a outboard motor mount identical to what Catalina puts on their boats. I ran out of patience trying to get a replacement from Catalina. I also just got some anti skid starboard from Buckcraft to make replacement stern seats for our Hunter. I don't like the teak slats and drink holders that Hunter incorporate in their stock seats.

Oct 29, 2005
If you want to want to see some on your 326, take a look at your stern rail seats. The white stuff under the teak slats would be starboard, or some other manufacture's variation.
Steve, thanks. Now i know what its like. Much like kitchen cutting board but uv stabilise. My friend made an obm mount out of cutting board. It lasted only about 3 years before turning dusty and breaking down.

Oct 29, 2005
Guys, thanks for great info. Now i need to source locally for this stuff King StarBoard.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Maine you may be right however the azek and other lumber composites are made for use outdoors in the elements... Red.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Actually, AZEK has a very different feel than Starboard. I've used it on houses. It is micro foamed or something like that so it will take a screw without pre-drilling. It leaves a less smooth surface, acceptable on houses but perhaps not always on boats. I doubt it deals with high compression loads like HDPE and certainly would offer less abrasion resistance. On the other hand, it may have other advantages (less weight, better flexibility, more paintable, easier to seal, cheaper). I've certainly used plastic materials other than Starboard with long-lasting success.

Has anyone used this material in marine applications sufficient to judge longevity? Please share the story. The fact that it is PVC does give improved adhesive possibilities.

Dec 30, 2009
Cat, I would think twice B-4 using for anything structural, I would probably use a hard wood, and use the proper sealants, however there are countless other uses in an exterior environment. I think a piece of wood may hold a screw better also. I have been using it for trimming high-end homes, there is a bit of movement form exp/contraction, so using the glue for joints is important. The glue AZEK sells is pretty much Plumbing PVC glue, although theirs leaves no film... Red

Status
Not open for further replies.