What is a nice '89 Catalina 22 worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Neuhaus

This 1989 Catalina 22 is in very good condition with a 3 year old mercury 8HP outboard, roller furling, VHF, Loran, potty and trailor. The seller's asking $12,000 (negotiable). I think that's way to high but I'm brand new to the sailboat marketplace. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

D

DANNY HAIN

SHOP AROUND

FAR BE IT FROM ME TO JUDGE WITHOUT SEEING BUT,IMO $12,0000 IS TOO MUCH MONEY FOR AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD BOAT. A LITTLE OVER A YEAR AGO I BOUGHT A 1986 C22 IN VERY GOOD SHAPE FOR $4700.00 AND RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1996 250 FOR $13,000 (NO TRAILER). JUST MY 2 CENTS GOOD LUCK DANNY "SALTY PAWS"

G

George Wiltsie

Check out a new boat . . . .

If you want a 22' sailboat from Catalina, according to the September 2000 issue of Sail Magazine, at p. 74, one of the top 23 boats being considered for their Top Ten List, is the Catalina Capri 22. The base list price as published is $11,739.00. I'd be real slow to pay more than that for an eleven year old boat. The Capri 22 will be sportier than the Catalina 22, with a less spacious cabin, but greater performance. As a 1985 Capri 22 owner, I'd say check it out, before you spend that kind of money on a Catalina 22. I'm cynical. I wonder if what you are being asked to pay for is the current owner's financing to buy the boat at some point, or if you are being asked to pay too much because the current owner paid too much. Also look at whether you are talking about a boat that has been mostly in salt water (ocean) or fresh water (lakes). This may have a real impact on the amount of corrosion that you have to deal with. On the other hand if this boat is just beautiful and you really love it, and it has been fixed up with every gadget, etc. that you want, then buy it... (Of course after having it carefully looked over, just like you would a car.) If you own it for 10 years or more, the amount of money amortized out will be small. Good luck.

R

Randy

buy new

I purchased a new 22MKll and the price was close to $13,000. The 22 of years past is just that...It's years past..The new MKll is roomier, faster, and more stable than the older model. I own one of 4 with a fixed fin performance keel and I win off shore events that c22s have never been allowed to race in before. Two weeks ago I took a second in my devision and third overall in the San Francisco to Half Moon Bay single handed event. I was only 8 minutes off the #1 boat after correction for the 25 mile race. If your looking to spend over 10, I'd by new...... Randy

E

Eric Landis

talk him down

I just bought an 88 C22 outfitted just like the one you describe (less Loran, but plus 1 yr old 15 HP outboard). I paid $7000, whereas the asking price was $8250. Granted, rural Maine is not Wilmette, (where in fact I used to reside), but there should not be that big a difference. I suggest checking Soundings Online (http://www.soundingsonline.com/index.html) and search on '88-'90 Catalinas. You will get an excellent cross section of pricing nationwide. One caution about the new boats the others describe is that they probably do not include a motor and a lot of the add-ons that one would want. New accessories add up in a hurry!

G

George Wiltsie

Good point on add-ons . . .

Really good point about the cost of the add ons. If you have to buy a motor that will add to the cost. On the other hand though, when do we ever stop with the "add ons"?? Isn't the definition a of a boat ". . . A bottomless hole in the water surrounded by wood or fiberglass, into which one throws money????" I'm sitting here thinking about adding on a boomkicker and some electronics . . . and trying to decide if they are worth the cost. Good luck!

M

MJ

Check out some brokers,

...they are usually lower in price than classifieds, because each boat in a boatyard has to compete with the other boats in the same yard. Also when you find a boat that is pretty clean and what you want gear-wise, get a survey. It is worth the money for the peace of mind, especially if you are new to ownership. MJ

M

Mike Crawford

I just bought

I just bought an '86 with trailer, 7.5 outboard, three sails and upgraded hardware (the privious owner raced her) for $4500. Roller furling and electronics would be extra but not that much. Mike Crawford

M

Mike Wankum

Newer & Cheaper

I'll sell you the same boat, but a year newer for $9500. The only problem is, I'm on the east coast. Good luck, you'll like the boat, but you can do better on the price. Mike P/S: If you do want mine, I'll throw in sailing lessons in the Atlantic!

D

Dave LaPere ( Nature's Cradle)

Heart versus Head

Hi There, Well I can agree with every reply written so far, especially George " A Bottomless Hole " no doubt about that George at all, LOL. Now there are good used boats out there and I think a survey is a smart way to go especially when you get to 8-10 years old or older. In some states the survey fee is tax deductable like registration fees etc. If you itemize that is! So I guess if there were a good used boat that had alot of the goodies I wanted I would invest in the survey. Originaly from Michigan, I would definitely buy a Cat that was fresh water sailed as opposed to saltwater anytime, because chances are she has been out of the water during the winter. Not like here in California where we sail year round. Another reason is fresh water does not attack the boat and the standing and running rigging like the ocean does. There are many good Cat 22's that I looked at before I decided on a brand new one. I know you are saying you can't or wouldn't want a new one for a first boat and I agree, my first one was not new either but to give you some comparison, I bought my Mark ll new this year , it is a 2000 model. The base price just for the boat with a standard sail plan was $11,500.00. not including a trailer or none of the goodies we all like to add on. I ordered some of those goodies with the boat like the Tri- Data system from Raytheon, The reason being, it is much better installed by the factory then by me. Anything goes wrong the factory via my dealer who is The Chandlery in Santa Barbara would be taking care of it. I had an exceptional Honda outboard 7.5 hp that is about 14 years old that works perfectly on her so the outboard wasn't an add on I needed(todays price $1,275 from a dealer in Santa Cruz)so I could go out and add that much worth of goodies onto that bottomless hole that I love so dearly ( Nature's Cradle. The head is telling me though, go for the best deal. Well truth of the matter is. A brand new one was the best deal I could get for the simple reason , financing institutions loan longer and have lower interest rates on a new yacht or boat rather then an old or used boat. 10 year contract 186.50 per month. if just 100.00 extra dollars a month is paid on the principal it's paid for in 5 years not 10, hence the bank loses 5 years worth of interest and she is all yours then, along with the extra interest you save, you can add even more goodies !!!! So I think you see where I am going with this. If you see something you want, you fall in love with it, then I would say get it!!! New or used it really is up to you, your head and your Heart !!!! Happy Sailing :) Dave LaPere dgl@lightspeed.net ( if anyone wants more particulars)

J

john

whats it worth

negotiate the heck out of it. the trailer is part of the boat, the loran, vhf, potty, engine are old and used.

R

Robert Gist

STOP AND THINK

I JUST SOLD MY C-22 FOR ALMOST THAT MUCH. IT WAS ON THE MARKET LESS THAN TWO WEEKS AND I HAD A OFFER FOR FULL PRICE AFTER I ACCEPTED A DEPOSIT. NOW I LOOK BACK AT WHAT I PAID FOR THE BOAT AND THE COST OF THE EXTRA I PUT ON IT, I WISH I HAD IT BACK. I HEAR OF THE GREAT DEALS ALL THE TIME BUT MOST THEM NEED MORE WORK THAN THEY ARE WORTH. A WELL KEPT BOAT WITH ALL THE EXTRAS IS HARD TO FIND. STOP AND THINK.

Status
Not open for further replies.