What is a good Trailer Sailboat?

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
One thing that we REALLY like about the 23.5 is the windows: between the ones on the sides and the couple forward the cabin feels much more open than the 26.5 cabin.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The plans for the 23,5 as a dealer came from me and the mast raise system was my design. I was involved with the 26 and 260. If you would like to talk with me send a private message and I will call but will need a phone number which to call

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
If you are willing to look outside the North American box, then the Tes 24 has very impressive specs. It is built in Poland and I believe there is a dealer in Toronto. Here are the specs which are hard to beat for a 24’er.
F79E723C-84D8-4357-A9EA-446F3AD9F9BB.jpeg

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Precision 23. No standing headroom but roomy inside with no mast support post. Parts still available fro the builder in Sarasota.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Both Precision and Catalina will be a good boat for a beginner. I think the Precision will be higher quality and more finished. You should also consider resale value and speed of the sale. The Catalina will probably sell faster

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Both Precision and Catalina will be a good boat for a beginner. I think the Precision will be higher quality and more finished. You should also consider resale value and speed of the sale. The Catalina will probably sell faster
If you are talking about Catalina Mk1 boats I would agree but that is not correct if you look at the Mk2 boats.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Full disclosure -- I've only worked on a 1984 Catalina 22 and owned a 1984 Starwind 19. The Starwinds are extremely similar to the Precisions. Same designer and lots of the same parts and features. I actually used information found on Precision's website to guide me through a repair of my Starwind. Reinstalling the centerboard was a challenge

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Over the years, I represented Beneteau, Catalina, Hunter, Precision, MacGregor Starwind, ComPac and others. Hayden is ccirrect about Catalina MK II over the earlier boats as I was often asked by Frank Butler for advice. Hunter listened to me about the trailer sailboats. Precision asked me to investigate issues of their boats and when I called, they listened. Precision was built Well. Even MacGregor was a good boat for the beginner as an introductory price. Too many dealers bashed the competition but at my dealerships, that was not the case. The quality of Catalina and Precision is equally good

Jun 9, 2008
hunter -- -
If you really are just trailering the boat twice a year, the Nor'sea 27 would be hard to beat. Big and heavy but designed to trailer and gorgeous to my eye.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you really are just trailering the boat twice a year, the Nor'sea 27 would be hard to beat. Big and heavy but designed to trailer and gorgeous to my eye.
One of my favorite boats, especially the center cockpit version…. Also rare and hard to find.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
@Sailavie1 ,

I have the TES 246 Versus and I think it's the best truly trailerable, cruising sailboat ever. But it definitely can't be "bought inexpensively" (@ShalomOrchard 's words). I was going to buy the 720BT but the dealer here in Canada had a never-sailed, pre-Covid 246 in storage and I decided to go for it rather than wait for a delivery from Poland. The 720BT is also an excellent boat, by all accounts, and I'm sure I'd be happy with it. But I'm not sorry I got the 246. It's an outstanding boat for my needs.

By the way, from what I can tell TES designates its boats by waterline length. The 678 is 6.78 m LWL (22.2 ft), the 720 is 7.2 m LWL (23.6 ft), and my 246 is 24'6" LWL (7.5 m). No idea why they went Imperial with the 246 naming scheme since they don't seem to be in a hurry to market it in the U.S. or Canada. Mine's the only one in North America, so far as I can tell.

Oct 31, 2012
@Sailavie1 ,

I have the TES 246 Versus and I think it's the best truly trailerable, cruising sailboat ever. But it definitely can't be "bought inexpensively" (@ShalomOrchard 's words). I was going to buy the 720BT but the dealer here in Canada had a never-sailed, pre-Covid 246 in storage and I decided to go for it rather than wait for a delivery from Poland. The 720BT is also an excellent boat, by all accounts, and I'm sure I'd be happy with it. But I'm not sorry I got the 246. It's an outstanding boat for my needs.

By the way, from what I can tell TES designates its boats by waterline length. The 678 is 6.78 m LWL (22.2 ft), the 720 is 7.2 m LWL (23.6 ft), and my 246 is 24'6" LWL (7.5 m). No idea why they went Imperial with the 246 naming scheme since they don't seem to be in a hurry to market it in the U.S. or Canada. Mine's the only one in North America, so far as I can tell.
Congrats on having that boat. BTW are you at Sylvan Lake in Alberta? I understand there is/was one there.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Hi @Sailavie1 ,

No, I'm near Vancouver. The TES on Sylvan Lake is a 678, I think. The dealer told me about that one. There's another 678 here in BC, and then several down in Ontario. Plus there are a couple of TES 28 Magnams, in Quebec or Ontario. The dealer is in Ottawa so most of the TES boats tend to be down that way. I drove down to Ottawa and towed mine home to BC last summer, which was quite a trek in its own right!

Oct 31, 2012
Hi @Sailavie1 ,

No, I'm near Vancouver. The TES on Sylvan Lake is a 678, I think. The dealer told me about that one. There's another 678 here in BC, and then several down in Ontario. Plus there are a couple of TES 28 Magnams, in Quebec or Ontario. The dealer is in Ottawa so most of the TES boats tend to be down that way. I drove down to Ottawa and towed mine home to BC last summer, which was quite a trek in its own right!
I met the dealer a few years ago at the Toronto Boat Show. I posted two videos on YouTube showing the Tes 28 Magnum.