What is a good Trailer Sailboat?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a sailboat dealer, I believed in training for all customers no matter how big or small which was a key as part of sales for example the 23.5. In fact, that included training for brokerage sales too. Paying instructors came out of my pocket and you have no idea how this helped sales. My recommendation if you are a beginner, hire an instructor or find a qualified instructor volunteer to teach you specific to the boat to include trailering with mast up and down procedures. I closed my dealership due to bank fraud as I lost my financing. However, I nailed the culprit as I use to be an investigator prior to a sailboat dealer.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I'm inclined to think that the issue of LOA is a classic case of the same term being used in different contexts. When you calculate gross tonnage using the simplified method (for an MMSI application, for example) you want the type of measurement that manufacturers tend to use--which is probably why manufacturers measure it that way. When you want to see if the boat will actually fit between other boats at a dock you want to know how long it actually is, everything included.
1683641870591.png

(from the USCG simplified measurement document)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
Also check out the Rhodes 22
The Rhodes 22 was one of the boats I was considering before I bought the Hunter 240. Both are great lake boats (large cockpits). I have found that the smaller and simpler the boat the more often we go out.

Dec 15, 2022
Pearson P30 Lamoine
@Tedd That's a beautiful boat!

@ShalomOrchard Smaller boats for beginners often results in better sailors. It's much easier to see how the boat reacts to steering, rigging and sail trim changes on a small boat than a larger one
I started this topic, looking for a relatively large (20-30 ft) sailboat that can be launched from a trailer off a boat ramp.
I currently have a Pearson 30, but the costs of putting it in the water in the spring, and out in the fall are over $1000.
And I can't take it somewhere else to go sailing somewhere else. I'm fortunate to have a trailer for my Pearson 30, so I can move it to my home, and not have to store it at the boatyard, but a trailer launched sailboat would cut my expenses, and let me go sailing in other places.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I'm inclined to think that the issue of LOA is a classic case of the same term being used in different contexts. When you calculate gross tonnage using the simplified method (for an MMSI application, for example) you want the type of measurement that manufacturers tend to use--which is probably why manufacturers measure it that way. When you want to see if the boat will actually fit between other boats at a dock you want to know how long it actually is, everything included.
View attachment 215506
(from the USCG simplified measurement document)
I wish my marina measured by boat that way. according to them, my C30 is 33' long unless I have my inflatable hanging on edge tight against the transom

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I wish my marina measured by boat that way. according to them, my C30 is 33' long unless I have my inflatable hanging on edge tight against the transom
Are you saying your marina includes the projection of your inflatable in your boat's LOA?

Isn't that like including an RV in the square footage of your house for property taxes?

-Will

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Are you saying your marina includes the projection of your inflatable in your boat's LOA?

Isn't that like including an RV in the square footage of your house for property taxes?

-Will
Yep, and they are very quick with their tape measure. Anytime that the see a boat with a new anchor or anything hanging off the stern, they will be out there with their tape and of course, they always round up. The fee is based on the max length tip to tail of all permanent and temporary projections.

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yep, and they are very quick with their tape measure. Anytime that the see a boat with a new anchor or anything hanging off the stern, they will be out there with their tape and of course, they always round up. The fee is based on the max length tip to tail of all permanent and temporary projections.
Mine does the same... and it is owned by the HOA... so I guess in a way I'm doing this to myself. However in my case it is a flat fee regardless of length, but under no circumstances can you go over 26' -- tip -to-- tail. That seems hard baked into the psyche. Even for boats parked at the end of a T-pier.

• Helpful
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Have you ever noticed how the higher end the hotel, the more they charge for extras? Stay in a cheap motor lodge and breakfast, bottles of water in the room, wifi are all included, but at the Ritz-Carlton, everything is an additional fee, plus tip. It is amazing that people who can afford that level of quality can hang onto their money at all. It is so much more expensive to live in a higher income bracket. I'm fortunate in that way.

-Will

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
...but a trailer launched sailboat would cut my expenses, and let me go sailing in other places.
That's exactly my thinking. Also, maintenance and upgrades are so much easier. The boat is parked right outside my workshop. I'm not certain but I think I pay less in insurance, too, because of not being in a marina.

And then there's saving on marina fees which, where I live, is well north of 5 grand a year even for a 26-foot boat like mine. Of course, it does mean having a second vehicle I don't otherwise need, to tow it with. That eats into the savings somewhat. But it also means that I have a nice, second-hand, 3/4 ton pickup truck that's handy for other things, when I need it.

Dec 15, 2022
Pearson P30 Lamoine
I kept my Pearson 30 on a mooring, which is a $50 fee to the town every year. I can't even imagine the cost of a slip around here; they are very scarce, probably on the order of $10K. Thats double what I paid for the P30 EACH YEAR. Of course it cost about $2000 to get the mooring put in at the town harbor. But it cost close to $2000 to launch and haul out each year. I'm lucky that I have a big trailer for it, and a Ford E450 diesel Shuttlebus RV to pull it. Dual Purpose Baby! I got them both cheap. If I can't find a way to do something cheap, I can't do it.

I bet lots of HOAs don't even let people park a boat or a RV in their yard! I have enough land I can take a piss outside and not get arrested! TMI?