what I learned from my GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hi all,

Got a new Garmin etrex legend hand held gps for Christmas.
It's a terrific unit, pretty effective in the car, swap out the map card and it is good on the lake. Finally, got a chance to use it in my 170 this weekend. Here is what I learned:

I learned I tack through about 120 degrees - this does not sound good, but it is about what I thought - not sure what if anything I can do about pointing.

I learned that when it is clear we are moving, but nobody is having much fun and we are wishing there was a breeze, we are going 3mph.

I learned that when we are sitting on the rail with the sheets and rudder held tight in our hands we are going about 6mph.

I learned my favorite sailing speed on this boat is about 4.5 -5 mph. Comfortable sailing, some speed, things are interesting.

I learned that when single handing a hunter 170 at 6+ mph you should not be playing with your hand held gps.

Also, I learned that the garmin etrex legend, though water proof, does not actually FLOAT!

fortunately I learned that last lesson in about 3 feet of water!

john

Dave D

May 7, 2009
hunter 26 Jordan Lake
I think all things said, the last is the best lesson. Do they make a cover for it that makes it buoyant? If not, we could make some money here!

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
i'm thinking about one of those little floats that they sell for your key ring - attach it to the wrist strap.

john

Jan 24, 2008
Alerion Express 28 Oneida Lake, NY
John...
I'm not familiar with that specific unit, but, if it doesn't show your speed in knots, you may want to try kph.
Since the units are smaller, you'll get a more accurate reading and be able to detect smaller changes in speed as you tweak things.
Have fun,
Paul

May 6, 2004
Hunter 37C Seattle
John, Keep in mind that the GPS reports where the boat is heading, not where the bow is pointing. So add leeway to your 120 degree tacks, so maybe you are tacking through 90 -100 degrees and have another 10 degrees of leeway on each side.

An extreem example of this is: compass said bow pointed south, knotmeter said we were going 2 knots through the water; GPS said we were going north at about a knot (current was flowing 3 knots northerly).

Status
Not open for further replies.