Hi all, I shall be departing for Southern Ireland (Kinsale probably) in a couple of weeks. Then across Biscay - Portugal and on to the Canary Islands....!
What have I forgotten?
Docs
I have insurance (could only get 3rd party but it will have to do), yacht registration (SSR), proof of ownership, radio license, mmsi number, passport and crew list (just me!) - do I need anything else?
Safety
I have bought and registered a GPS emergency locator beacon and various flares, life-jackets and fitted a new DSC VHF radio (plus spare portable). AIS receiver to warn of nearby ships and I have a Tinker Tramp sailing dinghy which will double as a life-raft. Strong attachment points and jack lines to keep me aboard.
The boat is just about ready with new sails (plus spares), watermaker, Navik,large solar panel(s), wind generator and new batteries. The engine seems to be working fine now and I have a 4HP outboard which can be attached to the stern.
Navigation - some paper charts (very bulky!), Laptop with chartplotter and charts of the world, tablet pc with gps and charts of the world, iphone with Navionics charts, iPod touch with navionics charts and a sextant - which I have no idea how to use! The radio and AIS receiver both have separate gps feeds and give Lat and Long plus COG and speed.
I have a full set of engine spares and an extensive toolkit, Q flag is ordered plus a few courtesy flags to get me started. 2 spare anchors plus chain and rode, loads of spare ropes, fibreglass repair kit, sail repair kit, extra fuel / water containers, complete set of new standing rigging (not made up as yet) and a box of shackles various.
I still need to fit some extra supports for the solar panel (not happy with the single support pole despite the assurances from the manufacturer!), fit the new sea toilet (I tried a portaloo but it splashed "blue water" everywhere in rough weather) and get some food aboard but basically I think I am ready....
Any suggestions about things I may have forgotten would be much appreciated!
(nervous) John
What have I forgotten?
Docs
I have insurance (could only get 3rd party but it will have to do), yacht registration (SSR), proof of ownership, radio license, mmsi number, passport and crew list (just me!) - do I need anything else?
Safety
I have bought and registered a GPS emergency locator beacon and various flares, life-jackets and fitted a new DSC VHF radio (plus spare portable). AIS receiver to warn of nearby ships and I have a Tinker Tramp sailing dinghy which will double as a life-raft. Strong attachment points and jack lines to keep me aboard.
The boat is just about ready with new sails (plus spares), watermaker, Navik,large solar panel(s), wind generator and new batteries. The engine seems to be working fine now and I have a 4HP outboard which can be attached to the stern.
Navigation - some paper charts (very bulky!), Laptop with chartplotter and charts of the world, tablet pc with gps and charts of the world, iphone with Navionics charts, iPod touch with navionics charts and a sextant - which I have no idea how to use! The radio and AIS receiver both have separate gps feeds and give Lat and Long plus COG and speed.
I have a full set of engine spares and an extensive toolkit, Q flag is ordered plus a few courtesy flags to get me started. 2 spare anchors plus chain and rode, loads of spare ropes, fibreglass repair kit, sail repair kit, extra fuel / water containers, complete set of new standing rigging (not made up as yet) and a box of shackles various.
I still need to fit some extra supports for the solar panel (not happy with the single support pole despite the assurances from the manufacturer!), fit the new sea toilet (I tried a portaloo but it splashed "blue water" everywhere in rough weather) and get some food aboard but basically I think I am ready....
Any suggestions about things I may have forgotten would be much appreciated!
(nervous) John