What happened to shore power service?

Manete

Feb 5, 2020
Catalina 30 MKIII Middle River
I cannot figure out why there is no 110 shore power service on our boat. Nada. We bought the boat last fall and 110V service was not checked during survey because the boat was hauled out. Contacted previous owner and he said it always worked whenever they pulled in to a marina as a transient. At the previous owners private marina there was no shore power but the boat does have a small solar panel with a trickle charger that kept the batteries topped off all winter. Ok - today boat went in the water at our new marina, I plug in and no light, no indication, no power, nothing. Swapped cords and still nothing, and yes, the pier receptacle is live. So why won't the boat receive power? Looked high and low and could find no other switch or breaker aside from the panel. 12v service works as advertised - Im just stumped at why there is no 110V....

Any suggestions?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The electrical code requires a main breaker in close proximity to the shorepower inlet, Catalina usually hides it in a portside lazzerette or transom seat.

Manete

Feb 5, 2020
The electrical code requires a main breaker in close proximity to the shorepower inlet, Catalina usually hides it in a portside lazzerette or transom seat.
There is a breaker by the shore power inlet?!? Holly cow - this is my second Catalina 30 and this I did not know. Was this standard on all Catalinas? Thanks!

Manete

Feb 5, 2020
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It is supposed to be within 10 feet of the SP inlet. It looks different from a regular breaker. It might have a plactic cover over the 2 or 3 breakers. ALSO, an interior GFCI could be tripped or not working?

Last edited:

Manete

Feb 5, 2020
It is supposed to be within 10 feet of the SP inlet. It looks different from a rular breaker. It might have a plactic cover over the 2 or 3 breakers. ALSO, an interior GFCI could be tripped or not working?
Will have to do a high and low search for it as I didn't see under the transom seat. The SP inlet is actually on the starboard side. But even with a GFCI tripped I should get a green light on the breaker panel right?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
The circuit breaker is just behind the shore power socket below starboard seat.
You must turn this breaker off before unplugging or plugging in the shore power.
There is an other circuit breaker on the panel above nav table.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You might also check to see if you have GFI outlets that are tripped and controlling other outlets.

On my boat, I have 2 GFI outlets that control All of the outlets on the boat.....if one trips, 1/2 of the outlets don’t work.

Greg