What happened to Cruising World?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I subscribe to an email newsletter called Loose Canon. Today’s edition floored me when I read that CW had named “All Is Lost“ as one of the 10 best sailing movies of all time! :facepalm:
(Link to article 'All Is Lost'? Cruising World Magazine's Credibility, That Is )
I watched that movie for 20 or 30 minutes and just could’t continue. IMHO it was REALLY TOUGH TO WATCH to anyone who knows even the basics of sailing or common-sense logic of fundamental survival. It was awful on every level and I wanted my time back :banghead:
It’s sad to read this about CW because it used to be a respected sailing mag with good (often great) editorial content.

PS- Some of the old timers in this forum came over from the CW forum when they shut it down and Phil (Sailboat Owners) rescued it, along with the archived content. (Thank you Phil.)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
“All is Lost” was not a great movie. It was a survival focused movie. It did poorly at the box office but did recover the costs of 8.5million. I liked the boat shots as they were of a CAL 39 giving the boat designer kudos for building a survivable boat. :biggrin:

I was disappointed but the writing (51words. Really? I talk to myself more than that) and directing as it was easy to critique the sailing failures. On the other hand, the movie does demonstrate the issues that plague solo sailors. Complacency, loss of time, delusions, injury causing incapacity to address emergencies. All of these have been shared by solo sailors on the ocean and more.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I guess I'm an old timer now, I was part of the migration from the CWBB.

I haven't seen "All is Lost" and, after your review, I doubt I ever will. I must admit, I gave up on CW years ago. The days of glossy magazines are passed. I just went to the site and I see Fatty Goodlander is still contributing. I just read his article on chafing, I enjoy his writing.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
And what was the date yesterday, when this was published by Loose Cannon (not CW)???

Jun 6, 2022
Jeanneau 39i Anacortes
"All is Lost": Yep, I could not believe that this stupid, illogical, maddening, unrealistic. etc. etc. movie was on anyone's best list, much less Cruising World's. I watched it and was provoked enough (and I'm not easily provoked) to write a page and half bulleted list of things wrong with it. Start with the hull is "bumped" by a container in relative calm water and gets a huge hole in the side (not the bow?). Near the end our "hero" sets fire to his inflatable life raft. Then there is the ending. Complete waste of time, sorry.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Research has changed my opinion of the meaning best. Especially when it really means most clicks or when posted April 1st.