What GPS unit fits this mount?

Aug 14, 2020
C&C 29 MkII Galveston
I need help identifying an old GPS mount to find out what model GPS unit fits it. Otherwise, I'll remove all the wiring.

The GPS antenna is Garmin and the connector seems to be a Garmin proprietary 6-pin flat according to this: 6 pin Garmin proprietary connector @ Pinouts.ru

I contacted Garmin and after a week of back and forth, they claim it is not theirs because "Our antennas are always going to have a puck shape and connect with NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 which is not a 6 pin connection." - even though GARMIN is molded into the antenna base plastic.

Does anyone here have any idea of what Garmin GPS Unit (or other brand for that matter) belongs in this mount?

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Could be an old LORAN unit?? obsolete now.. If LORAN, there would probably be a place to screw a whip intoo the top of the antenna thingie .. Looks like there could be?

Aug 14, 2020
C&C 29 MkII Galveston
Could be an old LORAN unit?? obsolete now.. If LORAN, there would probably be a place to screw a whip intoo the top of the antenna thingie .. Looks like there could be?
The antenna does look more like a LORAN antenna than a GPS puck, but I can't find any references to Garmin LORAN antennas anywhere. Also, the top is solid and sealed.. no way to attach anything else to it.

Aug 14, 2020
C&C 29 MkII Galveston
Scrap it I say.

I assume it is not connected to anything.

Greg
It's wired from the forward bulkhead to the transom, and connected to a breaker in the panel. Whoever installed it must've really used it because everything else was just wired direct.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Even if you could determine what it fit... it's obsolete. Why would you even want to mess with, much less spend money and time. It could be another type of instrument perhaps... but certainly not something you need just because a previous owner didn't want to take the cradle with him. Remove and save in a box. Use the space to install the charging cradle for your hand held vhf. Then, if you need a gps or chartplotter.. get a modern unit that can be interconnected to other devices you'll want to acquire over the next few years. You won't regret it..

Aug 14, 2020
C&C 29 MkII Galveston
Even if you could determine what it fit... it's obsolete. Why would you even want to mess with, much less spend money and time. It could be another type of instrument perhaps... but certainly not something you need just because a previous owner didn't want to take the cradle with him. Remove and save in a box. Use the space to install the charging cradle for your hand held vhf. Then, if you need a gps or chartplotter.. get a modern unit that can be interconnected to other devices you'll want to acquire over the next few years. You won't regret it..
If whatever goes there can be had cheap and still provides some value as a backup, it makes more sense for me to keep it versus spending (personal time or paying someone else) hours of work followed by a great deal more for an upgrade.

If it's a GPS and provides location updates and even rudimentary tracking, it beats an empty spot or having to remove dozens of screws, tie wraps, and tracing the wires back out (approximately 20 feet of them through various tight-access locations).

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
BINGO .. Calif Ted wins this one! Look at the cradle in this link; If the bottom suction cup were removed, the cradle would be same..
Garmin GPS 50