What engine do you have?

Feb 17, 2005
Just thought I would start a thread on engines. What engine you you all have? How does it perform? Repowering stories?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
A4, still popular around here. Dan Beard gave my friend Jack

Higgins an A4 after they just happened to run into each other on the water. Dan kindly even delivered the old block to my friend Jack(Dan owns a Challenger, I met him at Jacks at the delivery, small world! Hi Dan! Thanks, we were all tired of towing Jack!)

Jack had it rebuilt in Belfast just up the coast. It was very affordable and everything is still available for it. He's very happy with it. (Jacks boat is a Cheoy Lee 31)Runs like a top.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
CHRISTMAS has a Chrysler Nissan diesel.

949-Y had only two owners before I bought the boat. Boat was repowered in 76' (replaced the Greymarine gas-short life?) The second owner had the boat for over 35 years. He cared for the engine meticulously and it runs very well.

I had trouble finding parts until I researched and found the engine is a Nissan diesel used extensively in forklifts and was even installed in International Scouts for a few years. Parts are still available and it's rebuildable, cylinder liners etc. When it has problems, I'm not sure what I will do. It has about 3000 hours and was pulled and needed repairs made at around 2000 hrs.

My biggest complaint is it's size. It's huge. It pushed the galley bulkhead forward when installed, inches make a difference here. Second, noise, I have no soundproofing. Luckily motoring is something we can keep to a minumum here on the coast of Maine.

What I like: Plenty of power. With a three blade prop(another thread-props) and 65 HP, this big four cylinder is very smooth and powerful. It easily pushes the boat to 7 knots(GPS) but we run around 6.5, smoothest. It is especially helpful for punching through some sea when you have to motor. FWC, high output alternator.

Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 35 St Augustine
Engine

Black Pearl had a Westerbeke 4-107 when I bough her. The engine seemed to be doing ok but there was some white smoke. When I decided to replace the cockpit and remove the granite from the galley it became clear that this was the year to do it. It may have lasted another 5 years but when I owned Snow Star she had an engine that was less than reliable so I didnt want to go that route again, The new engine is a westerbeke 44 b four with 40 horsepower. The old one was 37 and seemed to have enough power.

A

Anonymous

I also have a Westerbeke 4 -107. I would like to replace it with something smaller & quieter. Any suggestions?

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 New Orleans LA
Oops, forgot to log in. The previous post is mine. I'm looking at options for upgrading my engine. The fumes from the old Westerbeke, its size and age are detracting from my families enjoyment of cruising. My galley was also modified to accept the beast, While I have this area and the cockpit apart, I thought this might be the time to replace it. Any ideas?

Sep 9, 2004
Essay has a Westerbeke 4-107, or Model 40. We put a lot of hours on it on the way back from Texas and it did the job without a problem. Didn't even notice the smoke out the stern until the overnighter when the stern light showed it off.
No idea how many hours on it; there was a switch on the hour meter. But given the problems I'm having getting the right fuel line from Westerbeke, I'll go with Yanmar next time.

Jun 28, 2004
Engine etc.

Whisper (949-LL) has a Perkins 4.108 (50 hp) that replaced the original Graymarine in 1979 shortly after Susan bought the boat. The power is comfortable, and is needed to get through Woods Hole occasionally. We usually limit it to 2000 rpm, although have run it up to 2500 when forced to. I have been thinking about adding a Walker AirSep to the air intake to cut down on noise, which is considerable, and also to minimize the slight oil leaks (sweating) and fumes into the engine compartment (which of course is everthing behing the cabin bulkhead).

It runs well and has been very reliable; we've only had to replace the starter, alternator and fuel pump so far. It's necessary to crack the injectors when bleeding, which is a nuisance, but I have gotten the routine down well by now, and seem to have eliminated an air leak problem that plagued us for a while (it was due to the failure to remove the old gasket on the fuel filter, and installing the new one on top of it - glad to say that it wasn't my error).

To add to the subject, we also have perhaps the last Automac voltage regulator, which is used with a Delco alternator (~100A) modified to accept an external regulator. Batteries are two Rolls 6V HT-4 in series (200 Ah) plus a separate starting battery. They all fit neatly beneath and a bit starboard of the companionway stairs, and are very accessible. I will probably get a removable solar panel to top up the batteries when we are not on board, since we use the lights at night more than we run the engine during the day.

Rick

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
After scouring the web for prices on replacing my old Westerbeke, it looks like the best plan (i.e. least expensive) may be to stick with the old beast. I will need to add some blowers and seal up the galley to keep fumes from leaking into the cabin. Anyone else have any ideas along these lines? Accessibility to the engine through the sail lockers is good. I had been contemplating doing something with the cabinetry in the galley.

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
New Engine

I just replaced my old Westerbeke with a Nanni.A Nanni is a marinized Kabota. Parts availablity is world wide as Kubota sells more diesels then anyone else in the world something like 100 to 1. Mine is 40 hp, the same as the Westerbeke, but at about 2/3 the size and weight. Nani's are used through out the industry, most notably with the newer Hinckleys and Passports. They come with many options such as various charging systems, shallow sump, refrigeration compressor brackets and drive pulleys, mount spacing, transmissions and many more. All this and cheaper than the Yanmars that I looked at. If anyone wants my old Westerbeke, (still runs) let me know.

Apr 7, 2006
MUSKRAT has a Westerbeke 44B. Only run her one season but no complaints- except I'm used to changing crankshafts on engines the size of my pickup ( last fall in Dania Beach Fl- the crank was only 900 # & $7200). Trying to do any thing is an adventure in the cramped space on MUSKRAT. I always think of my father in law and his power boat who would enlist our oldest son when he was 7 to reach under the manifold w/ his skinny hand and unscrew the oil filter in the Fall!

We have had issues w/ the "unknown-won't start-cann't figure it out-dead not even a click" when we hit the starter button. This always occured with zero sea room of course! The solution was frantically resetting the main cicuit breaker on top of the engine till the engine decided to start. We think now its just a wire which needs to be tightened periodically as the normal vibrations loosen it up. Helps w/ practicing sailing up to the mooring though.

At 2000rpm we cruise @ 6-6.5 knts & burn 2+ quarts/hour (again I'm used to 2000 gal/day on the tug so don't know if that is really good or not!).

Do all your vents lead to the transom?? We need a holding tank and I don't know if we can go that far from the forepeak or not. I know this is a diff thread but I'm curious.