What do you store on-deck?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Most of us want to carry some big stuff aboard, either for long voyages or simple convenience at anchor or dock. What have you carried on your decks and what clever ways did you find to secure and protect those items?

Share your tips and photos here.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I now have a kayak on the Starboard fore rail. I will be moving it to the port rail as it has hampered my starboard tie activities. I have carried my dinghy (inflatable) on the fore deck, more recently moved to atop the pilot house/salon. This is a love hate idea. It is up and out of the way but it does inhibit visibility from the cockpit, so not yet sure of the final stowage. I may end up towing it or stowing it inside on the quarter berth. So many considerations.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
920F4849-8712-4A34-A8F5-62DA03A0D550.jpeg
Two kayaks and forty gal. of diesel fuel for those long away from civilization trips.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Just the usual. Water, diesel and a kayak or two. Oh, and sometimes the dingy.
Kids grandkids Sasha 2010 007.jpg

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Kayaks, once we’re at our cruising destination. Otherwise, I prefer nothing, if possible. Our kayaks are inflatable and are carried in a life raft locker at the beginning of a cruise. After we arrive, they are inflated, used frequently, and carried on deck in kayak carriers attached to the lifeline stancheons. One of my greatest finds ever is the c-ring davits that I now have to carry our inflatable (for use on occasions when the kayaks are not suitable).

D3AF0291-E6D8-4DA8-9211-74A916685F64.jpeg 027CF907-E8BC-4BD0-B4E0-04B46C70613C.jpeg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I have a kayak and paddle board on deck. The kayak is inboard so it doesn't get in the way when I tie port side to the dock in my slip.
Kayak and SUP.jpg

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Dock lines only. Covered fenders stay attached to the dock. Four “travel” fenders in the lazzarette.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
i just like the sailing part of this hobby the most. all the stuff above the deck line will slow the boat down.
So that means the cabin is empty? No seat cushions? And you bought a Hunter for speed?

It's all a matter of where you draw the lines. On my cruising cat I carried a dinghy on davits, two kayaks, and bikes. With my F-24 I still carry a kayak on deck and also sail over 10 knots most days, but the cruising comfort is certainly less. Choices.
----
Does anyone use dry bags lashed on deck for anything?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
thin, you surely don't know the boats i captain. i did remove the table from down below. it has been stored at home for a very long time. it's beautiful, hand made (like the rest of my vessels) and was always in the way.
aeolus is stripped for day sailing. when cruising, it's all about the sailing. i have no interest in kayaks, it's not sailing. i like the wild places so bikes have no use. in towns we walk or hitch a ride.

we go cruising so to catch more breezes, not bars or beeches. that'a our choice. we sail to weather all the time, while you motor.
you claim 10 knots most of the time you sail. do you sit at the dock a lot waiting on the wind to achieve such?

speed,thin, sailboats that are fast, yepper, day sailing on my Ascow out on the bay. thin, we'd wait for you to catch up at the end of the day.
:cool:

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Then if all you apriciate is speed, you do not enjoy sailing as most forum members do. They would say you are missing something and that they are sorry about that.

Re. the A scow, that's a funny example on a cruising thread. Kind of off topic.