What do you do while stuck awaiting outside repairs?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It has been a love/hate affair with the 10 windows on SV Hadley. After 48 years the seals failed, were removed and delivered to the glass shop to replace glass and reseal against the weather.

Got to the boat Tuesday, 28 days since I reinstalled the windows. One of the "fixed" windows had leaked a puddle on the counter. Arrrgh.. :cuss:

Removed the window and frame. Bed-it Butyl had spread nicely around the frame and adhered to the cabin fiberglass. The install was good. Removable but not easily. Thumbs up.

Poured water on the glass. The glass leaked like a babies diaper in a Grand Parents arms. :angry:

Back to the glass shop.

What to do while waiting for the window fix? Well it has been a year since I last checked my PFD live vests. How about you?

Look at the date on the inflator. Pull the vest out of the harness.
  1. Inspect all of the enclosed gear, like whistles... yes I test the whistle too.
  2. Is there a cutter attached?
  3. A light? My vest came with a "pylon light" and "Lume-On" lights that make the yellow tubes flash when in the water. Lume-On lights work... Battery in Pylon Light requires replacement. Glad I checked.
  4. Do the tubes hold air? Blow up manually (you will want to know that works before you go swimming.)
I leave the vest inflated over night. Next morning, time to deflate (assuming the vest is as inflated as you had air the day before to put into it.) and put the PFD back together. Read your manufactures directions. On my Spinlock vest the directions are to use and accordion fold to reinstall the vest. If your vest has a hood use the same method to put it back in the harness. You want the material to open up quickly. Stuffed to wrapped may restrict the vest from properly inflating.

IF this is too much of a challenge, then I suggest you take the vest to a service center and have them do the work.

I inspect every year and every 5 years to before an extended passage, I will take the vest to a service center for a check-up. I figure safety equipment is the last thing you want to glitch when you call on it to function.

Hey, I hear the phone ringing. Hope it ti the glass shop with my window ready.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I am currently waiting on 4 custom stainless steel portlights from Taiwan and expect to receive them at the end of August then will replace the old tired pitted annodized aluminum portlights to give the boat a new look...........so while I wait I am going to wash the boat and remove the soot from the fires.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
John,
Good luck with the window leak, I just finished a major project to replace a fixed skylight that was leaking severely....so far so good!
Trying to do some inside preventive maintenance now also, until this miserable hot weather and humidity abates. Haven't checked the inflatable jackets in a couple years, so I can add that to my list. Don't forget to check the bobbin expiration date and weigh the CO2 cartridges for proper weight.