• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

What do they call the wind?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There is a song from the play/movie "Paint Your Wagon" - "They call the wind Mariah". a wind that blows cold down the mountain valley chilling the bones of a California gold prospector.

Winds have names all over the world, I came across this morning doing research on my coming summer cruise, a link to names of winds all over the world.

I thought it would be fun to share some of these names and get your answers from your own experiences. (no google or wiki searching).

Just the winds you have heard the names, where you believe they are from and any sailing experience you have had with the wind.

1. Squamish
  2. Sundowner
  3. Washoe Zepheyr
  4. Witch of November
  5. Williwaw
  6. Santa Lucia winds
  7. Santa Ana
  8. Plough Wind
  9. Nor'easter
  10. Nigeq
  11. Jarbo Gap Wind
  12. Fraizer Gap Wind
  13. Chinook
  14. Diablo
  15. Les Suêtes
  16. Wreckhouse
  17. Bise
  18. Euroclydon
  19. Föhn or Foehn
  20. Helm
  21. Maestro
  22. Sirocco
  23. Vendavel
  24. Southerly Buster
  25. Roaring Forties
Good luck...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Fun!

Okay so I've heard of 7, 9 and 25

I have heard of 7 on the news and it is blamed for all sorts of bad stuff in California... but since I'm on the other coast, I have no idea what it really is.

#9 is something that hits Virginia from time to time and I know full well how nasty those are..... and I believe the name is simply an accurate description of where the wind is coming from.

#25 is also a descriptive name but is in reference to the latitude where you find these trades.

and @DaveJ is describing the direction of the wind anytime you are in a hurry to get someplace.

How'd I do?

Oct 22, 2014
You did great @rgranger and bonus points are given for the first attempt.

Only sorry I did not identify a breeze or two from your area of sailing. Are there any named repeating winds that form in you home cruising area? I know you have the occasional blow but it is usually given a specific one time name that lives in infamy.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Don’t forget Tahnimara, the cold north wind of New Mexico; its name origin attributed to Comanche lore. The lonely North wind. Mentioned in the movie Chisum. Probably the same winter wind that blows cruisers around in the Sea of Cortez. Although I doubt it’s called that there I’ve read reports and heard anecdotes of friends who have experienced it (and don’t like it).

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Fun!

Okay so I've heard of 7, 9 and 25

I have heard of 7 on the news and it is blamed for all sorts of bad stuff in California... but since I'm on the other coast, I have no idea what it really is.
Santa Ana winds are typically very strong easterly and northeasterly winds that blow from the desert toward sea. They are driven by high pressure over the Great Basin of Nevada. The principal season is November to May. Although they may arrive earlier or stay later, they often follow the passage of NW fronts of fall, winter, and early spring, similar as on the east coast. That is, similar to the high pressure formation that drives strong northeasterly winds after a cold front passes over the SE.

To reach the coast and beyond the wind must rise over the coastal range then descend to the coastal plain, moving through passes and canyons at wind speeds of 60 kt or more before arriving to the coast while heating up as well (adiabatic heating). It violently displaces the coastal air toward sea whereupon it pushes up steep wind waves and swell that roll into Island coves exposed to the north and northeast, immediately setting the boats against a lee shore. In a very short time the wind can strengthen. There is virtually no shelter offshore, the only secure place being Cat Harbor on the south coast of Catalina Island. Those winds can blow for one to three days.:huh: They are considered very dangerous if you allow them to catch you in certain situations:yikes:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Santa Ana winds are typically very strong easterly and northeasterly winds that blow from the desert toward sea. They are driven by high pressure over the Great Basin of Nevada. The principal season is November to May, although they may come early or stay late, but often follow the passage of NW fronts of fall, winter, and early spring, similar as on the east coast. That is, similar to the high pressure formation that drives strong northeasterly winds after a cold front passes over the SE.

To reach the coast and beyond, the wind must rise over the coastal range then descend to the coastal plain, moving through passes and canyons at wind speeds of 60 kt or more before arriving to the coast while heating up as well (adiabatic heating). It violently displaces the coastal air toward sea where it pushes up steep wind waves and swell that rolls into Island coves exposed to the north and northeast, immediately setting the boats against a lee shore. In a very short time, the wind can strengthen even more. There is virtually no offshore shelter, the only secure place being Cat Harbor on the south coast of Catalina Island. Those winds can blow for one to three days.:huh:
so... @Kings Gambit
... it is the west coast version of a Nor'Easter?

1578952987108.png

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
We’re all “prisoners” of our environments and geologic histories. A cold water current bathes the North American west coast, whereas a warm water current bathes its east coast. The west coast is steep, mountainous with a narrow shelf; whereas, the east coast is a series of low lying drowned riverbeds and plains with a wide shelf. Our wet season is in the fall & winter, yours mostly in the summer. So naturally, we’re always different in comparisons of nearly every kind!!

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
jssailem, The island I live on gets a strong wind pattern every summer and fall.
People write songs about them. They do movies about the wind and the places and people
these winds affect. Meteorologists memorialize them in records they keep forever.

The problem is, they don't keep the same name from season to season. And, because they can be so strong and devastating, it was decided to give each occurrence a unique name,
like Andrew, Katrina, Betsy, just so we don't forget who did all the damage...

Around the Great Lakes they have a similar situation but later in the year.
They did give it a standing name, "The Witch of November".

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Yes... Gizzard you got the spirit...

Can you guess or have you experienced any of these North America, European, or Oceania breezes that for some odd reason repeat them selves?

Oct 22, 2014
I'll put that on the list..
Michael, Can you identify some of the others listed for the forum. I am guessing if the wind gods decide, we may experience one or two of them this summer.