What do I need to get this boat able to sail somewhat nicely?

Jun 6, 2021
macgregor 222 Tellico Harbor
I was given this 1977 Venture 22 and I know it's missing some things. What would be the best way to attach the sail to this boom for starters? I also have no vang or traveler, which was suggested to me when I got the boat. Where would this be installed? I have so many more questions, but we'll just start with this for now. Thanks for any info!
Pic 1.jpeg
Pic 2.jpeg

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
There appears to be (2) shackles on the boom at the mast I am guessing that the larger one is for the foot of the tack the other I am guessing is for a reef point in the main. As for the traveler it appears to connect to the end of the boom as pictured (attached)

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The original rigging on a v22 did not use a traditional traveler

1683504138925.jpeg

Also the main attaches to the boom by feeding the bolt rope and the boom rotated to reef the main

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The gooseneck connection to the mast looks suspect. Is this the standard Venture 22 method? The bolt holding the gooseneck on appears to have been over tightened causing the mast to be compressed on both sides where the bolt passes through. This probably compromises the mast's strength.

Jan 19, 2010
The gooseneck connection to the mast looks suspect. Is this the standard Venture 22 method? The bolt holding the gooseneck on appears to have been over tightened causing the mast to be compressed on both sides where the bolt passes through. This probably compromises the mast's strength.
Yes it is. You loosen the thumb screw and the boom rotates so that you can reef the main. you can also furl the main at port which is a nice thing to do. Then you put the thumb screw back in the slot to stop the boom from rotating. I found it was very nice to let the sail out using the rotating boom but it was a real challenge to reef when the wind piped up so I also had standard reef points put in my main so that I could slab reef when I wanted to take the sail in. But I would leave port with the sail partially reefed and let it out if the wind was calmer than expected using the roller boom.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes it is. You loosen the thumb screw and the boom rotates so that you can reef the main. you can also furl the main at port which is a nice thing to do. Then you put the thumb screw back in the slot to stop the boom from rotating. I found it was very nice to let the sail out using the rotating boom but it was a real challenge to reef when the wind piped up so I also had standard reef points put in my main so that I could slab reef when I wanted to take the sail in. But I would leave port with the sail partially reefed and let it out if the wind was calmer than expected using the roller boom.
Thanks. Is it normal for the mast to be compressed where the bolt passes through?

Jan 19, 2010
Here is a pic of a McGregor 22 that I had restored. I had just furled the main and was getting ready to put away the jib

1683550655591.jpeg

If you left the topping lift attached at the end of the boom, You could disconnect the gooseneck and then just guide the entire boom and sail into the cabin to stow

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
My V21 came with a fixed gooseneck and I later was told that a setup as shown would allow the boom to rotate when that thumbscrew is backed out of the mast sail track. My gooseneck is help at the proper height off the deck by hoistingbthe main halyard so the top of the sail reaches the masthead. Since boom/gooseneck doesn't have a provision that allows it to rotate, I have a downhaul at the mast to make the leading edge of the sail taught. I'm not sure how you do that with a rotating boom.

I notice the foot of the main has sail slugs riding in the boom track as opposed to the bolt rope. I wonder how that works with the boom furling operation? I believe this sort of boom furling is likely best for stowing the main at the end of the day, not so much for reefing as the wind picks up.
It appears on the other end of the boom you are missing a tang with the double pully for the main sheet. Are there any pullys or turning camcleats at the aft cockpit combing corners that allow the formation of that triangular sheet setup (as shown in the drawing posted above)?

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Your current rig is exactly how my Mac 26S was set up when I got it (except for the boom rotation mod). The hitch pin in the boom (just under those shackles) would pass through a ring at the tack of the sail to hold it in place. I did not like that arrangement much because the tack would angle out from the mast more the the rest of the sail above it. It probably did not significantly affect the performance of the sail, but I didn't like the look of it, so I just lashed the tack ring to the mast instead. I have re-rigged with the newer boom end plate, but that is not really necessary.

I would recommend using a heftier rope for the outhaul, and replace any galvanized or rusting hardware with stainless steel. You might want to install a camcleat or clamcleat at that end of the boom to allow tweaking of the outhaul tension since your main is loose-footed. From what I can see of the mainsail it is fairly new. Nice.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
If you left the topping lift attached at the end of the boom, You could disconnect the gooseneck and then just guide the entire boom and sail into the cabin to stow
I like that technique. I will have to give it a try.