What Coolant for Perkins 4.108?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2004
Gulfstar 37 Aft Cockpit New Orleans
What coolant is appropriate for the freshwater side of a 4.108 Perkins? I am assuming a 50/50 mix of "green" antifreeze and water would work...the workshop manual I have specifies some sort of obscure British spec coolant from the 70's that I cannot crossreference...anyone got any knowledge about this? I'm a little worried because of the aluminum parts in the cooling system..

Jun 7, 2004
Schock 35 Seattle
Pink Stuff

Do not use the "green stuff" assuming it is based on ethylene glycol as it is toxic to marine life if it spills into the bilge. Better to use the "pink stuff" which is based on propylene glycol and is bio-degradable and safe in the marine environment. You can also get this stuff in the RV store if one is convenient to you. Do not dilute the mixture. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/143908/0/0/anti%20freeze/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
NOT PINK STUFF

Hello, The 'pink stuff' is for winterizing fresh water systems that you drink from, or engine RAW water systems. It is not coolant and should not be used in your engine radiator. I would use any commonly available engine coolant. Just about all coolant made today is compatible with aluminum engines. Just be sure to read the label. Good luck, Barry Barry Lenoble Curragh, 1986 O'day 35 Mt. Sinai, NY lenoble@optonline.net

S

Southern Star

Diesel coolant

You should use diesel rated coolant, it is different from regular coolant in that if a gasket fails, it will not seize the engine , so I was told. The pink stuff is for winterizing . Only mix with distilled water to the ratio indicated by the manufacturer for the temperature range where you plan to sail. Pierre

Mar 28, 2007
- - newburyport,ma/Peaks Island, me
antifreeze

as john spohn said. what you have to understand is that there is no such thing as permanent antifreeze. i usedt owork with mfgs. and whrehse it. you need to change it reg. because the additives ie; anticorrosives(alum) lube for water pump etc. breaks down at deposits start when this happens. the red stuff is fine for all uses. the green stuff is not allowed any more because of toxicity. that doesn't mean you can't get it, but not for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.