What are your favorite Lake Michigan cruising spots?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Does Mackinac Island count? So nice to calm down there after going through the Manitous.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I know there are many prettier places on Lake Michigan (Like the Petosky region, Traverse Bay), but I am at the south end of the lake, and I like the Indiana Dunes area for anchoring overnight.

814146FF-3E6B-475B-BFDD-3C9924D845F1.jpeg65CD6249-05FC-465F-A1C5-94AD85B6D0DA.jpeg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
truth is, the whole lake is some of the greatest sailing on earth. and then you have access to lake huron. it's very cool over there, 30,000 islands.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I know there are many prettier places on Lake Michigan (Like the Petosky region, Traverse Bay), but I am at the south end of the lake, and I like the Indiana Dunes area for anchoring overnight.

View attachment 173805View attachment 173806
We sailed out of Michigan City last season. That sunset is identical to what we saw over there. There were a lot of surreal scenes on the water. Cool little city but dealing with the Franklin street bridge got old real quick!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
We sailed out of Michigan City last season. That sunset is identical to what we saw over there. There were a lot of surreal scenes on the water. Cool little city but dealing with the Franklin street bridge got old real quick!
I have stayed at the Michigan City Marina, but at the one right off the lake...no bridges to contend with ( and a very nice marina).

Greg

May 25, 2012
chicago yacht club
waukeegan
winthrop harbor
racine
milwaukee
port washington
shaboygan
keewanee
algoma
sturgeon bay

May 25, 2012
sailing the west side of the lake, north and south, is safe and fun, with the best sailing winds all season long

Jun 24, 2004
- - South Haven, MI
sailing the west side of the lake, north and south, is safe and fun, with the best sailing winds all season long
Agreed. But I must single out South Haven which offers 4 municipal marinas, dockage downtown, easy access to restaurants, coffee shops, hardware, and the superb South Haven YC.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have stayed at the Michigan City Marina, but at the one right off the lake...no bridges to contend with ( and a very nice marina).

Greg
If you ever go back there I'd recommend The Lighthouse for a good, cheap breakfast. Cool Runnings has amazing Jamaican Jerk and Bridges is a popular outdoor bar with good food and drink next to the river (and has a dock!)

About 10 miles North is New Buffalo, MI. We didnt have much time to explore it but its a really neat little place with multiple marinas next to downtown. LOTS of fancy boats and waterfront properties

Fayette
I just read about this ghost town a few days ago. Can you tell us a little about it and your experience there?

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
there is a 200 mile spectacular sand beach on the east side of the lake without one hazard or reef or rock to hit. you can anchor and frolic endlessly between sails.

May 25, 2012
along that 200 mile beach are many midwestern resort towns. all are fun to recon for fun spots that match your tastes. the michagan state dock system is spectacular. all these towns have easy docking available. great fruits and veggies to restock with all summer long.

May 25, 2012
michagan blueberries are the best in the world! that's right , i said it

mikiwi

May 9, 2018
Macgregor 26X Muskegon
Lake Muskegon the deepest harbor on Lake Michigan.
can spend a day sailing on Muskegon or in 8 mins transit through the channel you can be on the big lake. Muskegon Yacht Club is to your right as you come into lake MKG. Come visit us and enjoy the best of both worlds. Great sailing on both lakes.
there is also great anchorage and protect waters by the state park.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2012
Hunter 240 Muskegon
Charlevoix has to be my favorite. Awesome city marina in the heart of the downtown shopping district, great friendly host at the marina and lot’s of options for supplies or repairs. Lake Charlevoix is a great inland lake if the big lake gets a little rough.