What are you doing for the 4th?

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
We're towing the trailer down to the lake on Thursday. Camping on the boat is ok but camping with head room, separate bathroom, and heat/cooling is even better.

The local yacht club does a 4th of July fireworks show, so we'll be anchoring out, watching the festivities, then dodging 50 other boats all trying to get back into the marina at once. :lol:

Might take a couple of the grandkids along, or my son an his girlfriend may come down. The former will sleep in a tent by the trailer, the latter can stay on the boat if they want.

Plenty of sailing on Saturday, then we'll drag the trailer home on Sunday, probably after a shortish sail.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
We expect to take our O'Day 19 up to Lake Champlain to watch the Burlington fireworks from the water on Thursday July 3rd. Family is in the area so it gets to be a social event.

We'll be back in Winthrop on our Capri 22 for the weekend. I want to make a run up to Gloucester to make up for the windless Moon Chase last weekend.

This season I have received several compliments from knowledgeable sailors about the Ullman sails I got from Catalina Direct — "Very nice shape". I know the boat responds so much better since the new sails.

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
We keep Chingaletta at the first marina on the Buffalo river, just up from the coast guard base. The marina is not a destination for anyone other than slip holders and guests and sits a couple hundred yards across the river from "Canal Side". A great public use of waterfront space. http://www.canalsidebuffalo.com

The plan is to sail the Buffalo end of Lake Erie and the outer harbor for the afternoon returning to the marina for boat drinks, food and boat drinks with friends and fellow boaters. There will be music much of the day and on into the evening at canal side with a huge fire works display lakeside (just behind us) at dusk.

As much abuse as Buffalo takes for the winter weather the summers here make it all that much easier to take. Finally after decades of decay the water front is being put to good (public space) use. No bass pro shop or new stadium to overshadow the waterfront as was the foolish plan for many years. Now if they can only decide on a new bridge ( a twin to the Peace Bridge or a signature bridge) to Canada. That fight has been ongoing for 28 years.

Eat, drink and be safe on the water. Enjoy the celebration.

Cheers,
Curt

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I'm personally debating on what I wanna do... Last year the wife and I rafted up with the club (about 6 boats from the club anyway). We swung on one huge anchor, and watched the fireworks at the bottom of the lake (which are very impressive)... It's about a 1-1.5 hour straight motor back. I have a 1 liter outboard, and wide open it only runs for 1 hour. Which is fine, I can refuel underway, HOWEVER. The nutcases all buzzing back up the lake after the fireworks are shockingly poor drivers at night. My boat is lit up nicely with LED running lights, so that's not an issue, but the steep chop running back to refill fuel, is a PITA.

My stepson and his girlfriend want to see the fireworks, which usually go off around 9:15-9:30pm, on the 4th. My daughter wants to see them as well, but the wicked ex-wife won't allow me to keep my daughter for the evening.... So I must return her by 7pm on the 4th (which is 1 hour away from the lake and 1 hour the wrong way from home).

SOOOOo... if I do this, I must pack my stuff up drag my daughter home, then drive up to the lake (2 hours start to finish), then meet my stepson and his girlfriend, pile onto the boat (it's now 8pm)... motor WAO up the lake, anchor JUST as the fireworks start (in what is likely a crowded harbor, boo).
Other option is to drop my daughter off about 1 hour early (I hate cutting any time I have with her off), and follow same otherwise.

Also if I get to the lake 1-2 hours early, our club holds a "sailboat parade" where fully dressed sailboats parade around all the stinkpots... before they anchor up...

I have 10 feet of chain, a suitable anchor, and 150ft of rode, so that's not an issue even in our lake where anchoring can amount to being in 50 feet of water (3:1 is sufficient if it's not blowing a gale)... but I typically find shelter in 30feet or so.

Last years raft-up was a cluster... the low freeboard of my boat (almost 1 foot lower than the next boat - puts my rub rail below theirs, now imagine being smacked by 1-2 foot waves), along with the happy (pronounced drunk) stinkpotters, conspired for an uncomfortable raftup (short steep chop), and some clanging of spreaders before we got settled in (we got buzzed while we slid down beside our raft-mate I had tons of fenders out, but it didn't matter). This led us to disembark first as soon as the last work exploded (to keep from banging on the hook). I won't raft-up again, unless the feeboard is better matched... so I'll be anchoring alone this year, and also waiting until the first hour of ridiculousness passes before we head back after the fireworks. All of this basically changes my nice sailboat into a glorified motorboat, which I totally hate. I am all cool with anchoring, but the right way to weigh anchor is while sailing off anchor (hehehe). Last year I missed some great sailing before the fireworks... because of a mis-communication from our "social" director for our club. I could have sailed the parade route, and done it faster than under motor, and had more fun. Don't think me ALL sour on the event, it was better than all that of course, we had a nice swim beforehand and the parade was nice (social director and wife dressed as uncle sam and lady liberty).... one of us had a 16ft USA flag, I was in complete parade dress, with a 6 foot flag, it was pretty neat... we rafted up, and I whipped out the BBQ grill on the stern rail, and we did shish-kabobs (which were shared with the raft-up, while they all passed wine/cheese/snacks back, yeah, you heard me I was the only raceboat in the raftup, and I was the only one cooking, go figure). So we still had fun... but the trip back was downright scary, having stinkpotters buzz you at 30+mph (with drivers you know are smoked) generating 3-4 foot wakes right next to you, the whole way in the dark. Just waiting for an accident to happen.

This is a picture of my boat just before we rolled out of the slip (ole glory was raised before departure), see behind all that, the 16 foot Ole Glory flying on a club-mates boat. Turns out I lost one of my signal flags too after that, I believe it was (N)ovember winds picked up smartly after this picture (probably had 12-15mph winds).

and, just before the parade finished, I removed the signal flags, but left ole-glory up.

Every light in front of the shoreline is a boat... it was equally as populated on our side of the lake... the direction of the camera in this picture is nearly directly towards where the fireworks were launched.

May 23, 2007
I feel your pain on rafting up, Shnool. We did it once - Catalina 25 on one side, Santana 20 on the other. The one was too high, the other too low. :shock:

Last time we rafted up it was with a Catalina 22. Much better fit.

May 23, 2007
Ah, nice Bordiki. What did you use to power the lights? A generator or just off your battery?

Jul 5, 2013
Just off the battery, I have two 500 w inverters and two batteries. They last for about 2 hours. I have great idea this year. I will post pictures on Friday.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Well;

The 4th. looks like a washout here in NY. Local fireworks have been postponed for a day due to "Arthur."

Not sure what the day will be like. Forecast is rain.

Oh well; GOD BLESS AMERICA !

I feel damn lucky to be an American.

Boat safely everybody.

Hershey

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Sitting at home on the fourth, listening to fireworks all around us...

I would have had to travel about 3 hours round trip, and another 1.5 motoring in the boat to do an on the water experience.
Aurthur brought us drier air (good), but impressive gusty winds, and cool air. We'll avoid the crazies tonight, in the cool, to watch the fireworks... decision was a good one.

Regardless we celebrated the 4th at the Kutztown Festival, mostly PA Dutch food/items, and frankly just a nice easy day... Just did 2 porterhouse 20+ oz locally grown corn fed steaks on the grill (pronounced - TO DIE FOR steak)... life is STILL good.

as was said OH so well..

God Bless America.

May 23, 2007
Excellent! No lighted boats for our 4th this year. Someone did theirs up like a pirate ship a few years ago thought.

We did have a great fireworks display that we viewed from the lake. Had 3 teenagers and a 5 year old along (grandkids) and they all had fun. Made a weekend of it, the older kids in tents and the 5 year old in the trailer with us.

Click on the link to view the video.
http://vimeo.com/100080315

Here's a snapshot

Attachments