What are these.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Ok so I found a cushion that folds and has snaps that I can’t see a location for, the upholstery is similar but still different colors. Is this a cushion for the Catalina 30? (See pics below)

The other item I found was a piece of canvas that looks like it is a cover of some sort, but what does it cover. It has snaps and a zipper but I can’t figure it out. It was bunched up in the v berth.

grrr. The images I took of the back of the cushion will not load, it says they are too big. i will try and post them later after cropping them.

7D8A5A72-C4B3-4B52-86FC-6097A6B96A53.jpeg
6245D915-8D83-4916-9927-EFF66E9D9F62.jpeg
50433FF0-10C3-4DC5-B343-9DD8CB7EA7CF.jpeg
E564F5EE-8874-4104-8547-565213CC0AAC.jpeg
018D5F95-7590-4D13-8781-FEE84A7B1611.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The blue tarp might be a cockpit cover. The round centered hole might go around the back stay, then zip up. The fittings on the sides would act as tie downs... This is a best guess.

Could the cushions be side pillows for the V-Berth, or cockpit back rests?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Cushions look like back rests.
The tarp looks like a home made cockpit shade. How it rigs evades me.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The blue Sunbrella is a Bimini . The open area with zipper allows for closure around the backstay.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Thanks for the input guys!

I have no bows or holes where bows used to go so that’s why I wasn’t sure about the tarp being a Bimini it would rest on top of the helm and safety lines… not good for headroom unless you are a toddler.

Im thinking the cushion isn’t part of this boat. In all the interior pics I have found, I have not found that cushion in anyones boat, I don’t have that snap pattern in any location on mine and it’s made of a softer foam than the rest of my stuff. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Tarp could be an awning of sorts to cool the boat. Loads from foredeck, hole around mast. (I cant tell how big the hole is.) Then zip shut the length of the mast. Tie off aft wherever you choose using aft grommets, and the boom keeps the cloth "UP". Forward of the mast, if you wanted some clearance off the deck, you'd need to fashion "tentpoles" of a sort. Clearance would be useful if leaving a forward hatch open and still getting rain protection for the open hatch. If clearance is not needed, just tie off forward (wherever you choose).

This would help keep a boat way cooler during most daylight hours of summer sunshine. I would have killed to have something like it when I was cruising, instead of improvising every day with sunshades and dropcloths.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Tarp could be an awning of sorts to cool the boat. Loads from foredeck, hole around mast. (I cant tell how big the hole is.) Then zip shut the length of the mast. Tie off aft wherever you choose using aft grommets, and the boom keeps the cloth "UP". Forward of the mast, if you wanted some clearance off the deck, you'd need to fashion "tentpoles" of a sort. Clearance would be useful if leaving a forward hatch open and still getting rain protection for the open hatch. If clearance is not needed, just tie off forward (wherever you choose).

This would help keep a boat way cooler during most daylight hours of summer sunshine. I would have killed to have something like it when I was cruising, instead of improvising every day with sunshades and dropcloths.
The hole is about 4” or so in diameter and there are 2 of them before the zipper portion. my mast is over 6” in diameter, but my boom is around 4” or so… interesting. Looks like I have a bunch of experimenting to do. I found another piece that buttons to something… no mating buttons on its own self. I do have a couple of snaps here and there on the boat that may line up to this new piece. Oh the fun of figuring out this mystery.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
it would rest on top of the helm and safety lines… not good for headroom unless you are a toddler.
Perhaps it is just a cover to limit rain from falling int the cockpit.
Or it is pilled up above the cockpit by a halyard along the back stay. Suspended in the air above the cockpit and held down to the boat sides by lines along the edge of the tarp.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
ANOTHER thought... this could be foredeck hatch cover. Instead of the zipper going around the backstay, it goes around the foil. Then attached to the lifelines and allows air without rain into the v berth...