What are these bolts and wire for?

Jun 26, 2021
O’Day 26 Georgetown
Anyone know what this is in my O’Day 26? The bolts are coming straight up through the hull under the starboard forward settee. The yellow wire is heavy gauge and is disconnected at the other end, but looks like it was connected to the negative bus. I bought the boat two years ago, and just discovered this, and I’m completely stumped!

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The wire is some kind of bonding wire to connect whatever is on the other side of the bolts to ground. Hard to say what it is without seeing the other side though.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My 82 O25 had that. Some kind of grounding plate or zinc. It too was disconnected and painted over on the outside.
I never worried about it.

• Helpful
Sep 11, 2016
O'Day 30 Halifax, Nova Scotia
Anyone know what this is in my O’Day 26? The bolts are coming straight up through the hull under the starboard forward settee. The yellow wire is heavy gauge and is disconnected at the other end, but looks like it was connected to the negative bus. I bought the boat two years ago, and just discovered this, and I’m completely stumped!
I certainly don't "know" but I'd bet money on it being the remnants of a lightning defense.

There's likely a plate, or remnants of a deteriorated plate on the outside. If that's the case, and you want to resurrect it, I'd get way larger wire on that and run it to multiple or every piece of chain plate and keel base that you can.