What are a Columbia 8.3 best Saling Characteristic

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blueye

I am looking at purchasing a 1981 Columbia 8.3 Widebody. Not being real familiar with the Columbia, what are its best features and weaknesses. The boat has the Inboard Diesl, Wheel, furler..basically the size I am looking for. Any insights?

J

John Boasman

Best characteristics for the 8.3

For it's size the 8.3 is an exceptionally capable sailboat. Very good in heavy seas and winds, with oversized rigging. It tends to be a bit on the heavy side, which actually makes it great in heavy seas, but not so hot in light winds. In late 79 Columbia was assumed by Hughes, so an 81 was actually built by Hughes, who replaced teak with fibreglas and lightened the boat slightly. The cabin size rivals most 30 ft boats. You have to jump up significantly in size and price to gain any appreciable benefit over the 8.3 One weakness has been the windows tendancy to leak. Good luck with your search.

B

Brad Bock 8.3 Owner

Good Bargain

I just bought an 8.3 in November. this is the time for bargains. Look on Yachtworld.com for price comparisons. After looking at this boat, there was no comparison to the all white plastic Hunters, Catalina's etc. With the features you mention, a $9500 to $11,000 number would be about right. Don't forget the hull survey. Brad bbtvr@yahoo.com

M

MdBoatbum

8.3 Sailing characteristics

The 8.3 is a wonderful boat to sail. The wide beam and moderately heavy displacement give it a very mannerly motion in heavy seas. She'll also tend to stay more upright as the breeze kicks up. The keel design allows for arrow straight tracking while not sacrificing maneuverability in close quarters. Do watch out for the aforementioned leaky windows (more specifically damage from the leaks. The leak itself is an easy fix), hull blistering and softness on the cabin top. In my opinion, Alan Payne hit near perfection with his metric series, I've owned 3 and plan on another in the future. These boats are generally well built, roomy for their size, comfortable to sail and just plain fun!

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
Great,fantastic, super boats

I own a Columbia 8.7 which is the big sister to this boat. The widebody is a great design as the others here have attested. Check for leaks around the mast step (deck) and chain plates. Most of these boats had foam filled rudders which were prone to swell and split. Check all seacocks. The old Perkos have hardened rubber petcocks, and will leak like crazy if they haven't been well lubricated over the years. Decks can get mushy, if the chain plates aren't rebedded pretty regularly, so check this. My 8.7 sails like a dream. I can set the sails, and she'll sail herself for 10 or 15 minutes with out any help from me. There is a super deal on an 8.7 in Long Island. It's set up for trans Atlantic cruising, with radar, short wave, vhf, and enough spare equipment to pay for the boat if you sold it all. The owner is asking $12,500, and the boat needs nothing. He's left the country and is not coming back, and needs to sell. See it at www.yachtworld.com

M

mikp

8.3 windows

I owned an 1978 8.3 for 9 years on the chesepeke bay, great boat... as for the windows, i found that painting the frames white and resealing that the leaks went away... i came to the conclusion that the black frames soaked up the heat from the sun and got too hot to touch, the white frames did not heat up at all..no more leaks for 7 years

M

MIKEP

DOWNWIND

THE WINEGLASS TRANSOM IS GREAT FOR RUNNING IN ALL KIND OF CONDITIONS ON THE ALAN PAYNE DESIGNS, I HAD AN 8.3 AND SHE DID BEAT WELL BUT SINGLE HANDED IS MUCH EASER HEADING DOWN WIND

Status
Not open for further replies.