What Anchor Shackle to get? Galvanized anchor shackle with G4 chain and stainless swivel

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Cotter pins to secure clevis pins underwater are not to be used. Somebody screwed up by using those swivels. IMHO.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
What w
Cotter pins to secure clevis pins underwater are not to be used. Somebody screwed up by using those swivels. IMHO.
What would you use in place of a cotter pin, Rich? And why no swivel?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
IMO any underwater connection device, be it a shackle or a swivel, needs to be a type with screw pins with two loops of safety wire. The type of swivel with the cotter pin is not intended for underwater usage where corrosion can destroy the cotter pin. I did not mean to imply that no swivel should be used. Just that a proper part for the application.
Here is a picture of a swivel with screw pins that can be safety wired-
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

On a side note, I once had a mooring that was assembled with a Chinese shackle. On an inspection I found that the pin was severely eroded along with the threaded portion of the shackle body. The erosion was so bad the pin literally rattled in the shackle. The ONLY thing keeping the pin in the shackle was the two loops of safety wire. I wish I had a picture of this to post.

Needless to say, future shackles were American made, drop forged Crosby shackles.

Dec 25, 2000
Needless to say, future shackles were American made, drop forged Crosby shackles.
Thanks, Rich. Agree with your thinking. Chinese made products unwelcome on our boat. Quality control suspect and inconsistent specs.

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
Very informative, I like where the thread went. Thanks for the input. For now I’m going to keep the swivel but add links on the anchor side to eliminate side loading the swivel. Shackle between chain and anchor is American galvanized, screwed pin will be seized with monel. When the time comes I will find a Mantus swivel. SS to galvanized will corrode proximal chain links, as is now clear. I will cut off links as they corrode, which seems will happen at a slow enough pace to not worry about losing too much chain in the process.

Dec 25, 2000
Shackle between chain and anchor is American galvanized, screwed pin will be seized with monel.
Hot dipped galvanized? Important distinction with regard to corrosion resistance. I've seen products that claim galvanized, but are not hot dipped. On our boat I secure the pin with SS lock wire and inspect it regularly while cruising, FWIW.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Anyone ever use Ti wire to do the seizing? Just a thought.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Thanks, Rich. Agree with your thinking. Chinese made products unwelcome on our boat. Quality control suspect and inconsistent specs.
I know we like to disregard Chinese manufacturing, but if the quality is there, I've found they have greatly improved products in recent years. I've been dealing with Chinese manufactured product that really works. I think this sentiment may need to be revisited.

dj

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Defender did give me credit for the swivel that I returned. Nice company to do business with.
I read this post a few times and I’m not understanding where the justification for a return came up. Why did you want to return something you used extensively, and it didn’t fail?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I read this post a few times and I’m not understanding where the justification for a return came up. Why did you want to return something you used extensively, and it didn’t fail?
@Captain Larry-DH If I'm not mistaken, the 5/16" shackle returned was a mistaken purchase, not the 3/8's long used shackle.

I also had to read that post several times to come to that conclusion. Also helps I've been dealing with Defender and returns and know their policy well at this point...

dj

Dec 25, 2000
If I'm not mistaken, the 5/16" shackle returned was a mistaken purchase, not the 3/8's long used shackle.
Yes. I ordered a 5/16" swivel, which was a mistake; should have been a 3/8" swivel like the original. You know, measure once and cut twice.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
The best shackle to get for G4 galvanized chain is a Crosby 209A - one size larger than the chain. The 209A is a Hi-test alloy that is considerably stronger than a regular galvanized shackle. Crosby G-209A Series Forged Alloy Anchor Shackle

Before getting a swivel, try the shackle. For many anchor designs using chain and a windlass, the anchor will untwist itself as it comes off the bottom without a swivel. Sometime the shackle actually does a better job than the swivel orienting the anchor at the roller.

Last edited: