What about the flottation foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Magic

Does any of you guys removed the styrofoam blocks in your Mac? This is my first boat and it is awfully temptimg to chuck the darn things and recuperate all that space.

Oct 26, 2004
Macgregor 26X Denton Co. TX USA
It's a risk

No matter your skill or experience, strange and terrible things can happen to you and your boat. The foam is there to float your boat in a worst case scenario, either right side up or upside down. In either posture, you have something to hold on to, and make a bigger target for eventual rescue. I properly loaded and secure boat with the aid of the flotation foam can be righted when conditions are calm and sails are removed. Some have said they have removed some or all of it. I suggest you think carefully before althering placement or amount. You might consider doing so if you find yourself in any of the following categories of sailor: 1. Always have a dinghy in tow 2. Have a compact, fully equipped life raft on board. 3. Never sail far enough from shore that you and guest of any age can't swim easily to shore no matter how cold or violent the water is 4. You just don't care about yourself or crew.

J

John S

Float Foam

Many other boats do not even have any type of flotation foam, so if you sail one of those boats are you showing disregard for your crew and passengers? I think not. Also, I question whether the 25 year old foam in a Mac would actually float the boat and all of the accessories that have been added over time. That would be an ironic situation, keeping some old foam onboard and having the boat sink anyway. The idea of an unsinkable boat is a good one, but what is the practical attitude? John S Boise

Status
Not open for further replies.