What a Difference a Peninsula Makes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I had the same experience running the last couple miles of the Pongo that I have sometimes had in the Cape Cod Canal. I could feel the temperature change of the water flowing down the channel. It was still chilly at the Wilkerson Bridge but, just a couple miles later in the river, I was peeling off layers until I was down to what I might wear for a late August day in Maine.

I’d planned to stop in the river for fuel and my intent to experiment with a more relaxed cruising style but the dead calm and warm sun was just too good to pass up. The idea of waiting out the upcoming rain day at R. E. Mayo with easy access to all that great seafood clinched the deal.

I anchored in Campbell Creek just a mile up Goose Creek before the start of the Hobucken land cut. It was warm sitting in the late afternoon sun looking at glassy flat water lit up by the late afternoon light of a perfectly clear sky. I was feeling far away from it all and perfectly at peace when I heard the unmistakable sound of someone talking on a cell phone what seemed like only feet away. Iooked around and saw nothing at first. Then, I noticed a bunch of ducks, motionless except for one that was flapping its wings constantly like a machine. It was a machine, a battery powered decoy.

I could clearly hear the next conversation. “Some jackass just anchored right in front of us so I will be home early. Hold dinner for me.” Well, sorry guys, but after all, you are camouflaged. Even the outboard motor was painted in camo.

The next morning, I ran the three miles down to R.E. Mayo, one of my favorite places on the waterway, for $0.40 a foot dockage and $3.00 a pound shrimp fresh off the boat. I did an oil change as soon as I docked and spent the rest of the day doing other boat chores. It rained a bit last night but today promises a fair wind for the Neuse River.

There is an excellent spell of weather coming up for exploring the area but there is cold coming behind it. Last winter spent south must have thinned my blood because I’m not tolerating cold the way I used to. The upcoming calm, warm(ish) week will also be good for getting south so I’m going to stick with Plan B. I’ll probably also be bypassing Oriental. I’m anxious to see dolphins again.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
... Last winter spent south must have thinned my blood because I’m not tolerating cold the way I used to. ....
Sorry Roger, it's old age -- it sneaks up on you :-( Snow here yesterday and fire in the woodstove.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Oh, an oil change; here comes trouble! Just kidding, enjoying your trip just as much as yourself. Have you determined a "turn around point" or just going to wing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.