Nov 8, 2007
Hi, could someone tell me the difference between the Mark 1 and mark 2
Vega. I'm thinking of moving up from my current 20' boat to something
a bit bigger and the Vega looks pretty good to me. There's a mark 1 and
a mark 2 for sale near me. Many thanks. Steve

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Hi Steve
I have a Mk 1 and I have friends with a Mk 2.

You will hopefully get more technical answers than this but the obvious
difference is that the coaming surrounding the cockpit is very narrow (2
inches?) at top in a Mk 1 Vega - which makes sitting out on windward
coaming when boat is well heeled uncomfortable for helm and crew.

This is a pain (in the ass literally) as it makes the cockpit more
crowded.

I usually sail single-handed and prefer to stand with one foot on leeward
cockpit locker lid when boat is well-heeled than to sit out on windward
coaming.

I'll be interested to hear what the other differences (other than engine
type) are.

Are there are advantages to the Mk 1 - as the Mk 2 will be newer I presume
it willbe more expensive?

Over to Steve Birch of the Vega Assoc of Great Britain (VAGB) and the
other experts...

John

V 1447 Breakaway

John A. Kinsella Ph: +353-61-202148 (Direct)
+353-61-333644 x 2148 (Switch)
Mathematics Dept. e-mail: John.Kinsella@...
University of Limerick FAX: +353-61-334927
IRELAND Web: John Kinsella's Website

Oct 30, 2019
In general, this has been my experience:

Mark I
Albin gas engine
copper fuel tank in starboard cockpit locker
shallow bilge (baffled from deep bilge)
non-recessed cockpit locker hinges
slotted hull-deck joint bolt caps
single vent on aft deck (bilge fan)
traveller molded into seat edge
compass molded into center of bridge deck

Mark II
Volvo Diesel engine
plastic fuel tank in full deep bilge
recessed cockpit locker hinges
smooth hull-deck joint bolt caps
wood 'eyebrow' over engine gauges in bridge deck
double vent on aft deck

I have yet to notice a difference in combing widths ... I was under
the impression they were widened out on the Mark III, very late
production models.
BTW, I have yet to sit on the combing in any wind conditions. If you
need to 'hang out' to keep the boat upright, a sail reduction is
called for ... far drier and more comfy sitting on the proper cockpit
seats!
Hope this helps :)
Peter
#1331 'Sin Tacha'

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Peter, I stand corrected.
I must have a Mk2 then and my pals in Belfast a Mk3 with wider coaming.
Thanks for your interesting post.

John

V1447 Breakaway

John A. Kinsella Ph: +353-61-202148 (Direct)
+353-61-333644 x 2148 (Switch)
Mathematics Dept. e-mail: John.Kinsella@...
University of Limerick FAX: +353-61-334927
IRELAND Web: John Kinsella's Website

May 30, 2006
Well, I pulled my exaust manifold off again yesterday. (MD6A)

My plan was to just take out the thermostat and see if the engine works cooler and ok without it. But when I got the cap off to remove the thermostat, there was like sand in the little cavity behind it in the manifold.

So I took the whole thing off.
I reused the gaskets so now I'm a little scared. THey were new gaskets last year. I put high temp permatex dressing on them.

But this guy in the next power boat over, showed me his cooling water filters.
How come Vegas don't have these. Seems like a great idea... better than letting sand in your engine.

Comments? Does any vega owner have this? If so, part numbers?
rb

Nov 8, 2001
Hi All

Mark I (1967 - 1971) Fitted with the Albin 021/022 petrol Engine. Engine Exhaust in the centre of the transom near the waterline. Overhanging lip by the mainsheet track. Lower engine bearers to accept the smaller Albin 021/022 Petrol Engine. Stern tube at 8 degree downwards angle. Slight cosmetic differences inside. Narrow cockpit coaming. Glass porthole on bridgedeck for internal compass above the engine. Back cushions in two parts covering the concealed lockers.

Mark II (1971 - 1976) Fitted with Volvo MD6A (Dynastart) or MD6B (Starter motor). Some of the earlier Vegas of this series used the last of the Series I top moulds so look cosmetically like a Series I (V1499 is a prime example). Higher engine bearers to accept the Volvo engine. A few have odd height bearers thus giving a 5 degree lean to one side. Stern tube at 12 degrees incline. Back cushions in two parts covering the concealed lockers. Engine Exhaust on the starboard part of the transom near the waterline.

Mark III (1977 - 1978) Fitted with Volvo MD7A. Starter motor (no Dynastart). Wide cockpit coamings so you dont get a sore bum whilst heeling on long tacks. Many cosmetic changes inside. The anti-slip areas are of a much coarser appearance. Back cushions run the length of the main saloon bunks. Engine Exhaust on the starboard part of the transom near the waterline.

These are just the main points.

Cheers

Steve Birch

Oct 30, 2019
Thanks Steve .... your depth of Vega knowledge is very impressive!
Maybe someone should archive this info in the files section.

Peter
#1331 'Sin Tacha'

Oct 31, 2019
Don\'t worry, at £35+ for a new one I expect most people try to re-use them; short of your gasket being in two pieces, it can\'t be ropier than the example I re-used last spring, which with the assistance of some high-temperature sealant is keeping water and oil in the right places.

Re: fitting a water filter; I tried on Spring Fever, but found that a decent sized bowl was too big to fit at the front of the engine and when I installed it under the cockpit floor, it wasn\'t visible to check, so it only got cleaned out when we had the floor up for something else or when it\'d overheated - it seemed to do this more often after we\'d fitted the strainer; I presume that it got by weed which would\'ve been chopped up by the impellor pump? It\'s now languishing in the bottom of a locker somewhere.

Bob
Spring Fever 1776.

May 30, 2006
Yeah, I thought I got a deal for my thermostat. Went to the auto supply and the guy plopped one on the counter. It was only like $1.50. But after a year it was highly corroded.
Guess it's not made to take sea water. Makes sense now.
rb

Oct 31, 2019
You can always add a water filter and I wouldn’t run without one as I always see stuff collected after awhile. When I installed my new Beta I put the Vetus filter on the forward bulkhead of the starboard cockpit locker. The hose run isn’t terribly long and it is easily accessible. I placed it just above the waterline level as Vetus suggests. Seems to work great. I have used Groco bronze filters before, but my HR had the Vetus and it worked well, so I went with this one.

Chris
Flyaway 2993

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bob Carlisle
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:44 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] cooling water filter ?

Don\'t worry, at £35+ for a new one I expect most people try to re-use them; short of your gasket being in two pieces, it can\'t be ropier than the example I re-used last spring, which with the assistance of some high-temperature sealant is keeping water and oil in the right places.

Re: fitting a water filter; I tried on Spring Fever, but found that a decent sized bowl was too big to fit at the front of the engine and when I installed it under the cockpit floor, it wasn\'t visible to check, so it only got cleaned out when we had the floor up for something else or when it\'d overheated - it seemed to do this more often after we\'d fitted the strainer; I presume that it got by weed which would\'ve been chopped up by the impellor pump? It\'s now languishing in the bottom of a locker somewhere.

Bob
Spring Fever 1776.

May 30, 2006
THanks Chris. That helps alot.
?
I looked up the Vetus and Groco units.
The models seem to be separated based on the inlet/outlet opening size.? You can get 1/2", 3/4", 1", ....
Any idea what size I would need on the vega?
Same question as ...? what is the Inner Dia of the hose from the cooling water inlet valve to the water pump input?
?
Roy

May 30, 2006
Is the Vega, MD6A thermostat reverse from an automotive one?
Apparently, some open when they get hot, and some close when they get hot.
rb

Dec 11, 2007
- - port st. lucie,fl.
Groundhog-
I've never heard of one opening when cold. They open when the water
gets to about 140F. The boat thermostats open at a lower temp for a
salt water cooled engine than a fresh water cooled. I was able to buy
one for my engine from a NAPA dealer for less than Volvo.
Richard

May 30, 2006
Hi Richard,
I put an automotive one in last year.
Just pulled it and it looked coroded. Maybe not plated properly for salty water?
rb

Oct 31, 2019
Volvo MD6A thermostats, along with the overwhelming majority open when they get warm/hot. What makes them vastly more expensive than a run of the mill automotive unit is that they open at a lower temperature. If yours packs up (unless you do your sailing in some very cold water) just rip out the centre of it and run it free-flow.

Bob
Spring Fever 1776

May 30, 2006
The guy at the West Marine that I was at said that he knew yanmars well, but not Volvos.
He said the other diesels have reverse thermostats.
rb