Whale V- PUMP MK.6 - Galley Hand Pump

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Probably not Tartan specific, but I figured I'd try to blow the dust off this sub-forum.

We have a Whale galley hand pump that leaks like a sieve. A rebuild kit is $15, a new pump is $50.

My wife says "just get the new pump. You'll mess with this one and it will still leak, and you'll be upset. And you'll have to buy the new one anyway."

It occurs to me that perhaps there's a better pump. Fynspray is cool, but to expensive.

What say you? Anyone have a recommendation for a great galley hand pump? Or, maybe something else to put in the hole where the pump is installed?

Thanks,

jv

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I'd get the new Whale and the rebuild kit. Put the kit in the spares storage for when the new Whale falters. My Whale Flipper wouldn't pull suction when we got the boat. The rebuild kit fixed that and it is still going strong seven years later.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'm trying to get out of the habit, with this new-to-me boat, of not carrying tons of spares and a hardware store full of hardware and tools on the boat. The original Whale presumably lasted 20 years ('though I don't really know how long it has been leaking). The new one should go another 20, no? But I hear you, I am tempted....