Whale Manual Bilge Pump

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
On the Port Side of my 2000 340, under the access folding seat is a Whale Manual Bilge Pump. It has a cover that “did” have an O Ring on it. It has just obliterated itself.
The cover is somewhat heavy and I don’t know if anyone else has this issue, but, even being heavy, the wind that rushes under the seat lifts and drops the cover.
It actually sounds like a ships bell. Annoying!
The O Ring did hold it in place.
I did contact SBO to see if they have the part, but I don’t know the size. So I thought I would ask to see if anyone else has replaced this O Ring and knows its diameter. To help SBO here identify the part for me.
Thank you for your help.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Unfortunately, I don't remember the size, however, when I replaced one I used a metric measurement and slightly smaller than the groove in the lid. The smaller size was necessary so the O-ring stayed in the groove.

Sep 26, 2008
It was on my list of stuff to do when I was last on the boat, BUT, I didn’t measure it or take a picture of it. In my defense, my list was a 2 inch square of paper with 7 things written all over it. I’ll be on the boat this weekend and do it First thing.
I agree, it has to fit tight or it won’t hold in place. Thanks you though.

Jan 11, 2014
It was on my list of stuff to do when I was last on the boat, BUT, I didn’t measure it or take a picture of it. In my defense, my list was a 2 inch square of paper with 7 things written all over it. I’ll be on the boat this weekend and do it First thing.
I agree, it has to fit tight or it won’t hold in place. Thanks you though.
Buy extras, they're cheap, especially at O-rings.com. While you're at it replace all the o-rings on the fuel, water, and pump-out fittings.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Which one?
Check the pump for a model name/number.
There are a few...
1715281860998.jpeg1715281907804.jpeg1715281935402.jpeg1715281976952.jpeg1715282008082.jpeg

Sep 26, 2008
John Thank you for the help.
Went to my boat last night and my Manual Pump is the Whale Gusher MK3.
As luck would have it, as I was fiddling around with it and guy two boats over saw what I was doing and asked if it was working or not. After I told him it was just the O Ring he came over with one! He had 2 spares (3 inch diameter).
Said he bought extras, like Dave suggested I do. Like minds think alike.
He was checking his fuel, water O rings and needed to get new ones.
I took out my bag of spares and handed it to him.
So as a day goes this one was a great one for us both. And doing what I really enjoy doing …..trading and bartering.
All up and ready to get put back in the water next week.
Thank you everyone for your help.
Thanks to SBO here also. They set me up with their proper replacements as well.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
John Thank you for the help.
Went to my boat last night and my Manual Pump is the Whale Gusher MK3.
As luck would have it, as I was fiddling around with it and guy two boats over saw what I was doing and asked if it was working or not. After I told him it was just the O Ring he came over with one! He had 2 spares (3 inch diameter).
Said he bought extras, like Dave suggested I do. Like minds think alike.
He was checking his fuel, water O rings and needed to get new ones.
I took out my bag of spares and handed it to him.
So as a day goes this one was a great one for us both. And doing what I really enjoy doing …..trading and bartering.
All up and ready to get put back in the water next week.
Thank you everyone for your help.
Thanks to SBO here also. They set me up with their proper replacements as well.
The cover is mounted upside down. Mounted as it is, with the hinge on top, the cover can interfere with pumping. If the cover is mounted with the hinge on the bottom the cover will be out of the way when pumping. The only advantage to the hinge on top is the natural position is closed which offers some UV protection.

Sep 26, 2008
You know I always thought that was wrong. But it does hold in place when I lift it up. It’s been like that since new.
I have to get some bedding and re-bed it.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You have good unit, now that you have found the O -ring..

A former owner installed a manual pump on my boat. It requires lifting the cockpit seat to access the pump. Not an issue while sitting safely in a slip on a quiet day.
The reason to replace it is the more likely situation... waves are breaking over the boat and the idea of opening the cockpit seat suggests filling the boat with boarding sea water not emptying the bilge. :yikes:

Love the sharing of resources. :beer:

I think I would get a spare pump handle. They never seem to be in their stored location when needed in a hurry. I think the last one I saw on the boat was being used as a pry bar. :facepalm: