wet floor in head

Jul 9, 2014
S2 8.0 Catskill Creek
I have 1979 S2 8.0 . I have removed the wet carpet in the head and see there is a drainage "trough" that runs along the floor...I may need to build a raised floor as I cannot for the life of me find where this small but annoying water intrusion is from. Has anyone else had this problem and can suggest a solution? Thanks!

Sep 6, 2011
Is it coming through a light fixture? I don't know the 8.0 but I've seen that happen. I'd also check any opening ports or hatches.

I wish I could be more help.

Is it only during the rain?
SC

Jul 9, 2014
S2 8.0 Catskill Creek
[Thanks for the reply...it may be a rain thing...there's a passive vent and although the design allows for them to be open during rain maybe these torrents are too much. It was dry today after a few days of no rain...I cut out the old carpet and put a rubber-bottomed front door mat down....that should help.

QUOTE=sailcruiser;1131636]Is it coming through a light fixture? I don't know the 8.0 but I've seen that happen. I'd also check any opening ports or hatches.

SC[/QUOTE]

Jan 14, 2015
S2 8.5 meter Plymouth
I don't know if the 8.0 is the same as my 8.5 but I had the same thing in my head and couldn't find the source until I spent a few hours on the boat during a rainstorm. It was coming in at the lower edge of the beckson portlet windows and running down the wall in the head. I also had some leakage at the chain plate. These S2's leak like a sieve. I'm in the process of sealing all my deck fittings and as soon as I can afford it I'm replacing the cheap plastic beckson windows with proper aluminium ports.

[Thanks for the reply...it may be a rain thing...there's a passive vent and although the design allows for them to be open during rain maybe these torrents are too much. It was dry today after a few days of no rain...I cut out the old carpet and put a rubber-bottomed front door mat down....that should help.

QUOTE=sailcruiser;1131636]Is it coming through a light fixture? I don't know the 8.0 but I've seen that happen. I'd also check any opening ports or hatches.

SC
[/QUOTE]

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
1. until I spent a few hours on the boat during a rainstorm. It was coming in at the lower edge of the beckson portlet windows and running down the wall in the head.

2. I also had some leakage at the chain plate.

3. These S2's leak like a sieve.

4. I'm in the process of sealing all my deck fittings

5. I'm replacing the cheap plastic beckson windows with proper aluminium ports.
1. Good idea. Most folks try using a hose, but it's never the same as BEING THERE.

2. All skippers should KNOW that chainplates are a part of periodic maintenance. Sadly, most don't.

3. All boats will if not maintained properly.

4. Good idea, use butyl tape. Know what that is?

5. Not really necessary. Beckson makes a very good product. You might want to read up on them before you trash them. Most leaks are due to the need for new seals, which are a hell of a lot less expensive than replacement ports of any manufacturer. www.beckson.com I have eight on my boat, have replaced two or three but easily refurbished the rest. I like them a LOT. Compared to Lewmars, they're like a Cadillac to a Yugo. Yeah, Lewmars may look better, but they leak like seives. Sound familiar? Becksons can be fixed easily, Lewmars, not so much, although they can be, too. Beckson has been making the SAME size ports for over 30 years. Lewmar keeps changing their sizes.